·
Landscaping Professional
13,812 Posts
Yes, 2.25" diameter tubing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This should be the last question on this topic. So I about to order Magnaflow X-Pipe, 2.25” diameter inlet and outlet pipe. I called the shop and they said no problem but I now need to replace the tips. The x-pipe has a 4” center to center distance between the outlet. I need tips that will fit unless the shop can make a bend to widen the space between, or alternatively buy an x-pipe that is wider (closer to stock muffler distance). The stock exit pipes off the OEM muffler seem further apart allowing a wider tip. I’m out of town for work for the week but wondering if anyone has done this can make a tip time recommendation that will fit and look decent without any complications. The shop wants me to bring in the parts to weld up, and I want to order them so they are home when I return . Rather get it right the fist time. Thanks

·
Sexist
43,349 Posts
You're saying they can't cut off the stock tips and weld them to the X-pipe? If that is the case then contact a Viper vendor for a Viper specific X-pipe. Maybe JonB has them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So, took the car to a performance shop today. They put the car on a lift and then gave me their recommendation. Said the muffler is rusting from the inside out.
They don’t recommend an x-pipe because they said there is no benefit that far aft on the exhaust system and would be very loud. They recommended cutting the exhaust with tips together and installing a new muffler and nicer tips. They recommend the Total Flow muffler. Total cost $505 for parts and labor. When I left I was charged $126 for the “estimate and their expertise”. Total BS they charged me and I wasn’t aware going in. Anyway he also said you could keep as is until it gets to be a problem. Here is the muffler they want to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Sexist
43,349 Posts
They don’t recommend an x-pipe because they said there is no benefit that far aft on the exhaust system and would be very loud.
They are full of shit. There may not be any performance benefit but an X or H most certainly will NOT be too loud. Read this again, X or H pipe will NOT BE TOO LOUD.

Go to a different shop.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I totally agree. I kept mentioning the x pipe and he then says, well if you change the exhaust dynamics you might need make some engine adjustments on a dyno or something. Again, hogwash. Going to another place tomorrow.

·
Sexist
43,349 Posts
Just go to any muffler shop and tell them you want to replace the muffler with a H pipe. (X needs a bit more fabricating). They will love working on a Viper.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
No shop anywhere charges for an estimate for something like that.

You got taken. Not that it would do anything but read a bad review on google as that cannot be deleted by them.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
and those Total Flow are all over Amazon.

I saw the X-pipe and reviews are not good.

They are just selling you what they had a good margin on.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I have replaced the cats with moroso spirals and have no rear muffler and my car is far from too loud

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I’m aware I was taken. I called the shop after getting home and asked to speak to the manager. I told him I’d never had to pay for an estimate for work on a vehicle. His response was. “all of our technicians have to account for work completed and every hour has to be billed. They work a 8 hr day with an hour lunch they have to bill for 7 hrs of labor. A technician was pulled off a job to put your car on a lift and then write up a recommendation and proposal. This is what your being charged for.” I told him, you should at least tell the customer before hand. It’s water on the bridge now. I’ll make a complaint online and let them deal with the bad review.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I’m aware I was taken. I called the shop after getting home and asked to speak to the manager. I told him I’d never had to pay for an estimate for work on a vehicle. His response was. “all of our technicians have to account for work completed and every hour has to be billed. They work a 8 hr day with an hour lunch they have to bill for 7 hrs of labor. A technician was pulled off a job to put your car on a lift and then write up a recommendation and proposal. This is what your being charged for.” I told him, you should at least tell the customer before hand. It’s water on the bridge now. I’ll make a complaint online and let them deal with the bad review.

When I switched the cats to the spirals, the shop tried to charge me 800 bucks.... It wasn't pretty... needless to say I paid then for the 2 hours of labor it would have taken...

·
Landscaping Professional
13,812 Posts
Going to another place tomorrow.
Status update?

From a fabrication standpoint, the H-pipe is the simplest to fabricate and get tips on. X-pipe only slightly more involved. The OEM muffler has different center-center distance inlet vs outlet (closer).There are lots of nice exhaust tips out there to choose from, so just decide on your tubing diameter and get going.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts