Viper Alley banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been slowly working out the bugs on my car that has only driven maybe 400 miles in the last 10 years and sat in a barn most of that time. This past week when I left it idling in my garage to warm up and pulled out I notice a small black spot on my garage floor. It was black exhaust soot, when I peaked under where the muffler is I discovered a small hole in the weld seam of the muffler. So now I need to replace that. A short google search wasn’t promising. Found used ones on eBay that looked terrible and didn’t see any OEM ones available new. What are most guys doing for muffler replacement on these cars? Any advice, from you long time forum contributors? I searched the forum and didn’t see much other than a lot of threads about Cats.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Sexist
43,336 Posts
Ok, GenII. If you are talking about the rear muffler, remove it and replace it with an X or H pipe. Any muffler shop will do it for 100-200. You won't be sorry. Trust me. It will be only a bit louder, you will still be able to carry on a conversation, but will have a very nice rumble at idle. I wish I would have done it first thing 22 years ago.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, yes Gen2.

Is there a specific muffler brand that is recommended.
So an X or H pipe? Can you be a little more specific of what I tel the guy at the shop. We got some good ol’ boys working around here you need to be specific or “billy-bob” might screw it up.

Here’s what it looks like now.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If you like the current exhaust note be aware that most mufflers have a small hole where you describe to allow condensation to escape and avoid rusting the muffler. If the hole is larger than about 3 mm or irregular in shape then the muffler is probably bad. The factory hole is usually in the rear bottom low part of the muffler to allow maximum drainage.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Sorry Flash, I was apparently typing while you were posting photos, Chuck say X pipe, that muffler is not long for the world.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Sexist
43,336 Posts
The X, H and straight pipes all change the note a bit. I have H and it sounds great. I've heard X and they sound great also.

If you tell any muffler shop you wanna replace it with a H pipe they will know what you want.

If you want an X pipe then you will have to buy one and have the shop install it. I thought ipsco.org had X pipes but I couldn't find one on their site.

The H is good though. I have no regrets.

·
Sexist
43,336 Posts
Okay, thanks. Good info on the weep hole in the muffler, think mine is worse that that. What’s the purpose of the X pipe? Does it have a particular effect on the sound?
Found this in Jegs is this what you’re talking about.
This has 3” pipes. Are the Gen2’s 2.5” or 3”

https://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/...MIpKPAs-Kh7gIVuf3jBx1FXwjsEAkYASABEgIbWfD_BwE

You don't need that. The cats and the resonator muffle the sound enough.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, there is a reputable performance shop in town that does custom exhausts also. I’ll let them know. I was just reading about how those H and C pipes work. Pretty cool. Soon enough I’ll get this rig back to its former self. I’m in the middle a 77’ 280z restoration too so I’d like to get the Viper finished so I don’t have 2 hangar queens on my hand.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I just helped a client with a 77 Z, neat car that really captures the essence of early Japanese sport cars. An X pipe can be purchased from Summit racing or fabricated by most exhaust shops.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Pffft, these Viper guys. Be a baller like back in the day! Bomb or Thrush! The HP gains are amazing!

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks gents. I’m slightly hesitant to get the H or X pipe only because I don’t want an obnoxiously loud car. I’d like to take my wife out on a date and not look like a 17 yr old or unable to hold a conversation at idle. She already thinks it’s too loud.
I like the Z, fun car to restore and everyone wants to stop and ask about it. Most rusted away due to poor metal preservation techniques the Japanese were using back them. Mine is from CA so it’s mostly rust free. Planning to put an Nissan RB25
Engine in from a Skyline. Monsters of power those things

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Thanks gents. I’m slightly hesitant to get the H or X pipe only because I don’t want an obnoxiously loud car. I’d like to take my wife out on a date and not look like a 17 yr old or unable to hold a conversation at idle. She already thinks it’s too loud.
Most that have been married a while, welcome the loud exhaust will the wife is in the pass seat.:blah::blah::drive::drive:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I pulled it in the garage last week and she made a comment. Honestly she hates the car so I guess it pointless to attempt to appease her. The first time she burns her leg on the rocker panel it will be the last ride for her anyway.

·
Landscaping Professional
13,804 Posts
Most of the loudness happens when you pull out the resonators (downstream of the cats) in the sills. Replacing the rear muffler with an X or H and keeping resonators gives a a healthy, but not obnoxious sound.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Most of the loudness happens when you pull out the resonators (downstream of the cats) in the sills. Replacing the rear muffler with an X or H and keeping resonators gives a a healthy, but not obnoxious sound.

That’s good to hear. Reading online I see there is tremendous discussion on exhaust mods to these cars. I’m not looking to really modify my car, it’s powerful enough as is and fun to drive already. I’ve always found that departing too far from stock invites problems in some cases. This isn’t one of those but I don’t want to piss off my neighbors anymore that I have already.
I see it pretty much impossible to find an new OEM muffler anyway so you have no choice but to go a different direction.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking at the X-pipes online. 2.25” correct? Manga flow has a nice stainless one for about $100.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts