Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

i recently installed Belanger headers and Corsa catback on my gen2 GTS and now the heat shield under the gas tank is rattling against the mufflers and sounds really bad. is it possible to add extra fastening points to the heat shield where it's come loose? or is removing/replacing it the only way to fix this? And I'm guessing I can't just remove it since it's between exhaust and gas tank right... gotta replace? thanks.

Also, I have no idea where to buy one since they're discontinued. any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Sexist
43,563 Posts
You should be able to re-attach the stocker but if you can't any race supply site will have something acceptable. Summit, Jegs, Speedway, etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should be able to re-attach the stocker but if you can't any race supply site will have something acceptable. Summit, Jegs, Speedway, etc.

Chuck,

turns out the shield is sagging and not loose at any of the fastening points. if i put a piece of cloth or something between the top of the muffler and the shield the rattling stops. all of the fasteners are still in place. is there something i can put between the muffler and the heat shield to keep them from touching? maybe wrapping the muffler? any ideas are appreciated. thanks!

·
Landscaping Professional
13,908 Posts
You should remove it and see if you can gently reshape the sag area with your hands and reinstall.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should remove it and see if you can gently reshape the sag area with your hands and reinstall.
The heat shield isn't really holding its shape well. i removed it for now. Is it a bad idea to drive it with no heat shield even just once? I looked on Jegs and Summit but not sure what to look for. There's no direct replacement as far as i could find. is it something i would buy a sheet of and cut it to shape? never done this before so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Landscaping Professional
13,908 Posts
Not going to hurt anything to drive it a little without it.

Reactions: WHY U TRY

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having this same problem. I thought it was rocks in the rocker panel but when I removed it and got it all clean, it still rattles about 75% of the time so it must be the heat shield itself.

Are there aftermarket ones that fit properly or is there a fix to use the OEM ones?

I have a 2000 ACR with straight pipes. Do I even need a heatshield if the muffler and heatshield that go under the rocker panel are gone?

·
Landscaping Professional
13,908 Posts
I've been having an annoying exhaust vibration too. I had it on the lift and confirmed it was not the heat sheild. I determined Saturday that it is from the rear fascia attachment below the right cornering lamp.

Reactions: WHY U TRY

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just diagnosed mine tonight as well. It isn't the heat shield either. Seems to be the rear part of the front wheel inner lining. Maybe I lost a shim or something because the driver side seems solid and doesn't move but the passenger side moves just enough to rattle at times.

I'm still going to probably remove the heat shield under the rocker panels and wrap the straight pipes in some sort of wrapping to protect things. My heat shields were looking pretty rough when I removed the cats and mufflers.

·
Landscaping Professional
13,908 Posts
From the factory, those liners are attached by 1/4" steel pop rivets. They aren't really prone to loosening, but if they've been out and reinstalled, they may not be as securely attached as OEM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From the factory, those liners are attached by 1/4" steel pop rivets. They aren't really prone to loosening, but if they've been out and reinstalled, they may not be as securely attached as OEM.
When I get a chance I'll get it up on the lift and take a look with the repair manual to see if something was every moved around. It just started happening without a peep in the last 10k miles of ownership.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts