Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Move over McLaren, you\'re being passed.

I've been waiting for over a year now for this to be confirmed:

Koenigsegg Breaks World Record for Production Cars

[image]http://www.salon-auto.ch/multimedia/images/img_traitees/2005/03/1109697717_koenigsegg_small.jpg[/image]

Geneva Motor Show Press Release 2005-03-01 Press conference at Stand 2053 Wednesday the 2nd at 12.15, Live film footage will be shown in the stand.
The Koenigsegg CCR breaks the World Record.

On February the 28th 2005, at 12.08 local time, the Koenigsegg CCR broke the production road car speed record, achieving a new official top speed of 388 (387.87) km/h at Italy's Nardo Prototipo proving ground.

A team of five Koenigsegg engineers and mechanics together with founder Christian von Koenigsegg ran, a technically standard Koenigsegg CCR in order to take the top speed record for productions road cars. The famous supercar test driver, Loris Bicocchi who is a veteran recorder breaker, drove the CCR.

The Koenigsegg CCR raised McLaren's previously unofficial mark of 372 km/h set at Nardo/Prototipo in 1993 with over 15 km/h. On top of this the CCR broke the official McLaren F1 record of 386.7 km/h, which was set on the 9 km straight line VW Ehra facility in Wolfsburg Germany.

A team of Nardo Prototipo technicians independently verified the speed of the CCR. The car was clocked using Tag Heuer´s Splitmaster 650 with photocells stationary at the track, recording the average speed during 1 km.

Nardo Prototipo is a circular track with a circumference of 12.5 km. This means that the car is driven in a constant turning motion, which makes the exercise and speed even more impressive. The steering wheel at this speed is kept at around 30 degrees of constant angel, which equivalates to a sharp corner for the speed.

The constant turning motion of the car creates extra friction on the tires. This extra friction overcomes the extra horsepower that was needed for further acceleration. The maximum speed was reached at around 6790 rpm, which is not equivalent to the maximum hp level, which is at a higher rpm.

With this verification of speed, Christian von Koenigsegg is even more confident that the Koenigsegg CCR is capable of reaching its projected top speed of 395 km/h, or more, in a straight line.

Driver Loris Bicocchi was very impressed by the performance of the car. He feels happy to finally prove the performance of the Koenigsegg. "This test was very important for the customers and owners of Koenigsegg cars. It proves that their belief and faith in the small Koenigsegg Company was well founded".

Filmator documented the record attempt. Filmator is a Swedish film crew that currently is making a documentary about the Koenigsegg Company for Swedish television.

The official Test Report is issued by Prototipo, acting as a third party verificator and is forwarded to the Guinness Book of Records for processing.

Other interesting data from the Nardo test

Max temperatures (in degree Celsius) during 40 seconds of full throttle: Ambient temperature: 8, Tires: 64, Engine coolant: 91, Intake air after intercooler: 64, Gearbox oil 94 degrees, Engine oil 112.

68 litre of fuel at the start of the test.

Car Set-up:
Standard road car fuel, Standard CCR Michelin tires, Standard ride height of the car, standard engine configuration, standard wheel geometries, standard gearbox, standard clutch, standard brakes, standard over boost pressure from the superchargers.

Test safety equipment:
Roll cage, 4 point safety belts, Fire extinguisher system, logging for data collection.

Comparison chart results at Nardo/Prototipo for Production cars:
1. Koenigsegg CCR 388 km/h
2. McLaren F1 372 km/h
3. Ferrari Enzo 355 km/h
4. Porsche Carrera GT 334 km/h
4. McLaren Mercedes SLR 334 km/h
5. Lamborghini Murcielago 330 km/h

Data was collected from Auto Motor & Sport, The official McLaren web page and from Prototipo for the Koenigsegg data.

This press release can also be downloaded from: www.koenigsegg.com. On the webpage there is also a scorching hot video clip from the test.

For further information, please contact: [email protected] or [email protected]

Koenigsegg Automotive AB

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Re: Move over McLaren, you\'re being passed.

Interesting looking car. The CCR has a twin supercharged engine that reportedly runs in the nines in the quarter. I believe this car also holds the record for 100-0 braking by YARDS under the competition with an upgraded 10-piston braking system.

·
Hooray for me, & fuck you
7,863 Posts

IN ENGLISH!

·
Registered
899 Posts

the mclaren was developed w/out ABS (pretty new invention at the time). also remember that it took mclaren over ten yrs to beat the record set by the vector w8. and the mclaren was a specially modified version, not the "stock or production" car exactly. so it shouldnt be too disapointing that it took only ten yrs to beat the mclaren and not by much

·
Sexist
44,756 Posts

What are those numbers in mph?

I saw a Konigsegusilskjakowtis at the Tampa Auto Show. Like most cars, they look better in person.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts

There are about 1.61 kms/mile (about 0.62 miles/km) so 388 km/h is roughly 241 mph and 395km/h is roughly 245 mph.

I can convert Celsius to F as well. :lol:

·
Sexist
44,756 Posts

THE CHAD said:
There are about 1.61 kms/mile (about 0.62 miles/km) so 388 km/h is roughly 241 mph and 395km/h is roughly 245 mph.

I can convert Celsius to F as well. :lol:

I don't get it. 1.61kms/mile + .62 = 2.23 which is the distance in millions, the moon is from us during the Equinox. Where do you get 241mph?

·
Registered
11,280 Posts

SylvanSRT said:
the mclaren was developed w/out ABS (pretty new invention at the time).
The Mclaren was made without ABS because Gordon Murrey wanted the car to be a pure driving experience and void of any "modern gizmos" as he calls them.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts

The McLaren couldn't handle for shit anyway. Pulled .86 around the skidpad. A stock prelude can beat that. I would venture that any Viper 96 on, with a good driver could beat a McLaren F1 around a short to medium track. Obviously not LeMans, but something like Laguna Seca. Bear in mind that I am comparing stock to stock, not LM to stock or Heffner to stock.

·
Sexist
44,756 Posts

Makara said:
The Mclaren was made without ABS because Gordon Murrey wanted the car to be a pure driving experience and void of any "modern gizmos" as he calls them.
I remember when that was the Viper attitude. :(

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts

Pitt Formula Racer said:
The McLaren couldn't handle for shit anyway. Pulled .86 around the skidpad. A stock prelude can beat that. I would venture that any Viper 96 on, with a good driver could beat a McLaren F1 around a short to medium track. Obviously not LeMans, but something like Laguna Seca. Bear in mind that I am comparing stock to stock, not LM to stock or Heffner to stock.
I'm not a big F1 fan either, but you have to be high. If you look at this from a purely power to weight ratio perspective, the McLaren walks all over the Viper. In slalom, fast transitions, and track-out, the cars light weight is simply unmatched. It's true the F1 only pulled .86 g, but it also has a very predictable and stable chassis which gets all 600+ horses down on the pavement. Unlike the Viper, the McLaren produces a significant amount of downforce at reletively low MPH and the braking system on the Viper is inferior to that of the F1. With an average driver in both cars, the F1 would be ahead by a large margin at the end of one lap.

But, I bet if you were to stick PMUM in a stock ACR at Seca, the overall laptimes between the Viper and the McLaren would be scary-close. If anyone could have done that, it would have been him driving.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts

I've seen both cars up front and personal. While i like the look of the mclaren, the koenigsegg is definately 10 years younger car with the technological and electronic sophistication. Koenigsegg is a pretty amazing machine!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts

Pitt Formula Racer said:
The McLaren couldn't handle for shit anyway. Pulled .86 around the skidpad. A stock prelude can beat that.

It was my understanding that the Mclaren did poorly on the skidpad because the car was made to come into it's element at higher speeds. Just as a F1 car does not have nearly the grip on the small, low speed skidpad that it does on a larger radius, higher speed skidpad. The Mclaren has a tremendous amount of downforce at speed which greatly aids it's highspeed handling.

·
Vipers should be DRIVEN !
4,287 Posts

The 2005 Saleen S7 comes with a twin turbo with 750 hp at the $555,000 price tag....but the weight to hp on is higher on the Saleen. The Koenigseggis 375 lbs lighter with 50 more hp at $40,000 more dollars. Saleen is coming out later this year with a power upgrade/breaking/aerodynamic upgrade that will put it over 1000 hp, that will make it faster than the Koenigsegg at that time.

Cudaman:flag:

·
Vipers should be DRIVEN !
4,287 Posts

Cudaman said:
Chad I think delivery is extra ..no, I was wrong,I forgot it was $575,000 in Sweden $595,000 del to the US.....plus gas guzzler tax and plus sales tax too.

Cudaman:flag:

·
Registered
11,146 Posts

Everything I have seen shows that not only was it bad on skidpad, but its transients were bad as well. It only went about 63 through the slalom. Mario Andretti commented that he was disappointed in its high speed stability and handling when he tested it at Texas motor speedway. It is light, but everything I have read indicated that it handles poorly at all speed. The highest transient g load I have ever seen for one was 1.2 gs. A stock Viper can spike up to 1.5. Another thing. The U.S. version was detuned because of emissions. It only ran an 11.6 at 125-- hardly better than a Viper. I still believe that a Viper could beat the U.S. version around Leguna Seca.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.