Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Rodent Whisperer
1,373 Posts
Last time I looked the 75A Power-IO SSRs (HDD-06V75E) was still $85-90. Just 1 would pretty much cover the price of the entire setup that I went with.

Solid State Relays are heat-sensitive, generate heat due to their operation, need a heat sink, and are rated at 85*C (185*F), while most of the components I went with are rated over 100*C (212*F).

Power IO SSR:

"Amperage derating curve decreases from full amperage at 40°C to zero amperage at 100°C when a proper heat sink and air flow pattern are in use. Design your application so that you do not exceed 80% of the max amperage at a given temperature in order to anticipate load variations."

Solid state relays, ssr, dc relay contactors

You also need to use a conductive grease between the SSR and the heat sink. Because of all of this, a standalone mechanical relay is far less expensive and easy to change out. The addition of the NOsparc spark suppressor (MHXDC1F012) gives it the advantage of the SSR without creating the heat or needing a heat sink, which opened up a lot of different mounting options.

I can't argue with the success of 4X4GT's setup, but to me, mounting a heat-sensitive component on a heat sink behind a hot radiator sounded a bit counter-productive. Despite this, I was still looking at using SSRs but the need for a heat sink, and the inability to easily mount it to the radiator fan shroud for a true plug and play (drop-in) installation led me to the mechanical relay and NOspark which I could mount to the shroud itself and opens up the room to a much larger powersteering cooler where 4X4GT's relays are mounted.

I don't think you could really go wrong with either setup. There's just more options now :)
Makes sense. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Hey Guys, here's the next installment:

Project VIPER GTS: Part 6 - Corsa Performance Exhaust and Kooks Green Cats

"After some impressive gains from intake work in Part 4, we now turn our attention to the opposite side of the engine to improve the evacuation of exhaust gasses as well as reduce the cabin temperature of our notoriously hot viper. For as outlandish and attention grabbing the Viper’s style was, the exhaust note did not have the same head-turning appeal. To remedy this we reached out to our friends at Corsa Performance for their 3” cat-back exhaust to give our viper a more sporty and refined tone. To further boost the volume and greatly knock down the calf-burning side sill heat, we installed a pair of compact Kooks Green Cats which are both environmentally and power friendly. "

In the article:

-Removal of the OEM exhaust
-Installation of the CORSA PERFORMANCE 3" Exhaust
-Installation of the KOOKS "Green Cats"
-Dyno Results of Corsa/Kooks exhaust
-Upload Roe Racing Tune
-Dyno Results of the Roe Tune
-Video comparing the stock exhaust with rear muffler delete vs. the Corsa / Kooks HFC setup

Project Viper GTS: Part 6 - Corsa Exhaust and Kooks Green Cats > MotoIQ - Automotive Tech, Project Cars, Performance & Motorsports

Enjoy!

·
Registered
576 Posts
What's up with the heat-wrap? Heatshield products? or something more exotic like Inconel?

·
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner
8,765 Posts
What's up with the heat-wrap? Heatshield products? or something more exotic like Inconel?
Right inline with the choice to put the "carbon fiber" trim around the exhaust cutout..

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Yes the carbon-fiber looking woven fabric is HeatShieldProduct's woven thermal insulation: LavaShield -to prevent discoloring the paint due to the increased heat exiting the tailpipes from the HeatShield Armor-wrapped exhaust. This will all be covered in the next article.

Is the LavaShield needed? Not sure but I personally like the looks and its common to protect the area around the exhaust in racing applications. I'd rather have it on there with the ability to peel it off than to discolor the paint and have no options.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The wait is over for the next installment covering the heat shielding:

Project VIPER GTS: Part 7 – HeatShield Products

"From coolant to cabin temperatures, Vipers are notoriously hot due to having one of the largest engines ever stuffed inside a sportscar. To combat this problem we turn to the thermal insulation experts at HeatShield Products to keep the heat in the exhaust system to lower the temperature inside the cabin and side sills. Hopefully we will prevent our side sills from discoloring and burning our legs when getting in and out of the car without proper clothing and ingress/egress technique. "

In the article:

-HeatShield Products: HP Stickyshield - covering the side sills and chassis
-HeatShield Products: HeatShield Armor - wrapping the exhaust pipes
-HeatShield Products: LavaShield - Carbon fiber looking heat shielding made of crushed volcanic rock (works better than the 'gold' foil).
-Temperature differences of the above products

Project Viper GTS: Part 7 - HeatShield Products > MotoIQ - Automotive Tech, Project Cars, Performance & Motorsports

Enjoy!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The wait is over for the next installment covering the heat shielding:

Project VIPER GTS: Part 7 – HeatShield Products

"From coolant to cabin temperatures, Vipers are notoriously hot due to having one of the largest engines ever stuffed inside a sportscar. To combat this problem we turn to the thermal insulation experts at HeatShield Products to keep the heat in the exhaust system to lower the temperature inside the cabin and side sills. Hopefully we will prevent our side sills from discoloring and burning our legs when getting in and out of the car without proper clothing and ingress/egress technique. "

In the article:

-HeatShield Products: HP Stickyshield - covering the side sills and chassis
-HeatShield Products: HeatShield Armor - wrapping the exhaust pipes
-HeatShield Products: LavaShield - Carbon fiber looking heat shielding made of crushed volcanic rock (works better than the 'gold' foil).
-Temperature differences of the above products

Enjoy!
Nice article and great job. Question what is the P/N for those KOOK high flow cats?

Also, is there any reason why is not covered in wrap shield the CATs themselfs?

Thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Nice article and great job. Question what is the P/N for those KOOK high flow cats?

Also, is there any reason why is not covered in wrap shield the CATs themselfs?

Thanks

That's a good question. They don't have a P/N listed on their website for just the cat (which comes in both a 3" In/Out and a 2.5" IN/Out -I chose the latter).

Kooks Green CATS, Kooks Custom Headers

They're listed for sale at Jegs for $321.12 each:

Kooks Custom Headers GE-90141 | Buy Kooks Green Revolution Catted Midpipes at JEGS

I would give Kooks a call and see how much they are or if they can match/beat Jeg's pricing. Keep in mind these are just for the cats and they will require welding since there is no Viper-specific kit.

At the time of writing the article, I didn't have enough information to feel comfortable with wrapping the cat, so I just used the HP Stickyshield where the uncovered cat is. Since writing the article, I've seen some high performance cars with OEM wrapped cats, so I guess it's not a big deal. I'm pretty happy with the results of the uncovered cats and HP Stickyshield so i'm not sure I will go back and wrap them, but I would now feel more comfortable doing so.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Hey guys, the next installment of Project Viper is up:

Project VIPER GTS: Part 8 – Bob’s Air-Oil Separator

"All cars create blow-by and positive crank case pressure which forces oil and vapors into the engine’s intake to be burned off for reduced emissions. This problem is worse on forced induction cars and performance cars driven at the track. Not only does this oil gunk up the intake tract and valves, it reduces the octane of your fuel which robs power and causes detonation. We installed a Bob’s Air-Oil Separator to the PCV valve and a catch can for the valve cover vent to see how much oil our Viper’s engine is pumping into the intake after some street and track use."

In the article:

-Installation of the Bob's Auto Sports Air-Oil Separator in the PCV system
-Installation of a catch can for the Valve Covers
-Analysis of the oil caught by the PCV & Valve Covers

Project Viper GTS: Part 8 - Bob's Air-Oil Separator > MotoIQ - Automotive Tech, Project Cars, Performance & Motorsports

Enjoy!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·

Project Viper GTS: Part 9 – RareFab/Roe Racing Oil Pan Baffle Kit

"Due to the high capabilities of the Viper, a huge strain is put on the factory oiling system on road courses and at the strip. This can cause oil starvation and a spun rod bearing. Using modern rubber can increase this risk, especially for 1996-1999 Gen-2 Vipers which have arguably the worst oil pan of any generation of Viper. To combat this problem, we upgrade to the larger 10-quart oil pan and windage tray from the 2000-2002 Vipers and install RareFab/Roe Racing’s race-proven Oil Pan Baffle Kit."

In the article:

-Explanation of the major problem with the Gen 2 oil pan design.
-Installation of the RareFab/Roe Racing Oil Pan Baffle Kit
-Early vs Late Gen 2 windage tray comparison
-Joe Dozzo windage tray modification
-Comparison between the Gen 1, Early (96-99) Gen 2, and Late (00-02) Gen 2 oil pans.

Project Viper GTS: Part 9 - RareFab / Roe Racing Oil Pan Baffle Kit

Enjoy!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Great pictures and documentation. Now if only the 00-02 Pan and Windage Tray weren't such unobtanium...
Thanks!

Very true, which is why a baffled pan is even more important for 96-99 cars with the smaller 8.5-qt pan. At least you can modify any year windage tray to the 00-02 specs, and go even further with the Joe Dozzo mod.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,198 Posts
I feel almost famous!

Another in a fine series of Viper how-to articles. Great work!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I feel almost famous!

Another in a fine series of Viper how-to articles. Great work!
Well you are now!

Haha, but seriously, thank you for contributing to the community with your experiences and feedback. I'm just consolidating all of the information.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)

Project Viper GTS: Part 10 – EMI Racing toe stiffener

This may be a pretty controversial review, but it was unbiased (I had to pay retail for it) and the results from fixing such a massive unknown problem were eye-opening.

"The Gen 2 Viper has a pretty serious, fundamental flaw that’s not widely known. The rear toe deflects by HALF AN INCH under hard cornering and acceleration. Unfortunately most of the “anti-toe brackets” out in the market do not properly address the problem or even make a difference. EMI Racing not only found the true cause of the problem, but solved it with their Toe Stiffeners that greatly improve the handling, consistency and safety of the car."

In the article:

-Explanation of the major problem with the Gen 2 upright.
-Installation of the EMI Racing toe stiffener
-Review

Project Viper GTS: Part 10 - EMI Racing Toe Stiffener

Enjoy!

·
Landscaping Professional
14,198 Posts
The racing GTS-Rs had a very complex birdcage weldment made of 4130 sheet steel with an outrigger strut that supported the outer link. As I recall, it used at least 3 of the hub mounting bolts to anchor it, possibly all 4.

My experience is that the inboard adjuster points move far more than the outboard ones because of how thin the perforated box section is.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
The racing GTS-Rs had a very complex birdcage weldment made of 4130 sheet steel with an outrigger strut that supported the outer link. As I recall, it used at least 3 of the hub mounting bolts to anchor it, possibly all 4.

My experience is that the inboard adjuster points move far more than the outboard ones because of how thin the perforated box section is.
Have you braced the outer, then measured the deflection from the inner?

According to Erik's work, the inner does not move and the 1/2" of deflection is all caused by the outer toe arm deflecting.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts