21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
23,668 Posts
riveting stuff

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Those gains were incredible IMO, and those are mods that I'd be comfortable performing. I know the Viper is much more home mechanic friendly than most exotic sports cars but with Dan in my backyard I planned on having him do anything I need when needed as an investment this big I would not want to risk breaking off a bolt in a head or whatever other stupid should could happen. Awesome write up. Still shocked.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks!

I was honestly surprised with the gains too, but looking at the factory filters it's not too hard to believe. Probably the best bang/buck hp/dollar mods you can do.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I was really betting that the smooth tubes wouldn't do anything. Wrong again....

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

I have just did the check valve mod for the ac. It works GREAT !
Simple..... cheap.....
I wish I would have known about this mod years ago

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 3" exhaust & HFC are on the car, quite a bit of work went into heat management (heat shielding) of the exhaust as well as a few other items. Next up is a trip to the Dyno then that article will be up.
When do you plan to post this article? Can't wait to see what you did and the results.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
When do you plan to post this article? Can't wait to see what you did and the results.
Probably in another month or two once the air cools back down to the 80's, which is the temps the first tests were done in.

In the meantime there is a couple in the pipeline.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Hey Guys, here's the next installement:

Project Viper GTS: Part 5 – Radiator Fan & Wiring Upgrade

"The Viper is a “racecar for the street” in more ways than one; and like a racecar, it does not like to sit in stop and go traffic and can run hot and overheat without proper airflow on a hot summer day. To combat this we upgraded the radiator fan on our 1997 Viper GTS with the higher flowing, larger fan from the 1998-2002 cars. In addition, we safeguarded the potentially flawed wiring and relay box by running standalone relays with dedicated power and ground wires. To further extend the life of the relays we used a trick pair of “NOsparc®” spark suppressors in the harness."

In the article:

- Fan removal & installation
- 1996-1997 vs. 1998-2002 Fan analysis
- Stock & modified fan wiring schematics
- How to wire a standalone power, ground, and relays
- How to make a MIL-spec wiring harness
- NOsparc arc suppressors - to eliminate arcing and increase longevity of relay contacts.

Project Viper GTS: Part 5 - Radiator Fan & Wiring Upgrade > MotoIQ - Automotive Tech, Project Cars, Performance & Motorsports

Enjoy!

·
Registered
382 Posts
That really was an excellent write up on the fan/wiring upgrade. I still need to get my shit together and upgrade my wiring (fans already been done). Do you have part numbers for the factory fan connector etc?

·
Registered
31,583 Posts
That really was an excellent write up on the fan/wiring upgrade. I still need to get my shit together and upgrade my wiring (fans already been done). Do you have part numbers for the factory fan connector etc?
I used a Metri-Pack connector when I did my conversion. And also used solid state relays that have no contacts. They trigger off the factory relay. Been trouble free for a few years now running all 3 fans.

·
Rodent Whisperer
1,373 Posts
I used a Metri-Pack connector when I did my conversion. And also used solid state relays that have no contacts. They trigger off the factory relay. Been trouble free for a few years now running all 3 fans.
You beat me to it. I was going to ask why not use solid state relays instead of those NospARC things and mechanical relays. They have come down in price quite a bit.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Thanks! I reused the factory connector on the fan and used a 2-wire "Deutsch" connector. You need a special crimper for Deutsch stuff but they are a premium connector in terms of price and quality. You could use a much less expensive 2-wire "Weatherpack" connector.

Awesome! Love the write ups!
Thanks!

You beat me to it. I was going to ask why not use solid state relays instead of those NospARC things and mechanical relays. They have come down in price quite a bit.
Last time I looked the 75A Power-IO SSRs (HDD-06V75E) was still $85-90. Just 1 would pretty much cover the price of the entire setup that I went with.

Solid State Relays are heat-sensitive, generate heat due to their operation, need a heat sink, and are rated at 85*C (185*F), while most of the components I went with are rated over 100*C (212*F).

Power IO SSR:

"Amperage derating curve decreases from full amperage at 40°C to zero amperage at 100°C when a proper heat sink and air flow pattern are in use. Design your application so that you do not exceed 80% of the max amperage at a given temperature in order to anticipate load variations."

http://www.power-io.com/products/hdd.htm

You also need to use a conductive grease between the SSR and the heat sink. Because of all of this, a standalone mechanical relay is far less expensive and easy to change out. The addition of the NOsparc spark suppressor (MHXDC1F012) gives it the advantage of the SSR without creating the heat or needing a heat sink, which opened up a lot of different mounting options.

I can't argue with the success of 4X4GT's setup, but to me, mounting a heat-sensitive component on a heat sink behind a hot radiator sounded a bit counter-productive. Despite this, I was still looking at using SSRs but the need for a heat sink, and the inability to easily mount it to the radiator fan shroud for a true plug and play (drop-in) installation led me to the mechanical relay and NOspark which I could mount to the shroud itself and opens up the room to a much larger powersteering cooler where 4X4GT's relays are mounted.

I don't think you could really go wrong with either setup. There's just more options now :)

·
Registered
31,583 Posts
Metri-Pack and Weatherpack connectors are identical quality construction to others. I've used them both in vehicle design and construction for decades. The only benefit to the other brands besides you have a lighter wallet by spending more, is the other brands are more compact. I had plenty of room under my hood.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts