Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Summit Racing and ran across a Moroso oil Puke can, Moroso part number 85470, price $70. After some thought, I installed it on the passenger side behind the frame cross brace. I mounted the bracket that came with it to the frame, just under where the front cross brace bolts. I drilled and installed two 1/4-size rivet nuts. I swapped the pipe around that comes off the valve covers to put the pipe vent on the passenger side of the car. I just need one more fitting and I am good to go. Here are a couple of pics...
/images/graemlins/smiles [image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/1110Oil_Can1-med.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/1110Oil_Can2-med.jpg[/image]

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
I have one installed with braided AN fittings in a different location. Great addition for forced induction cars that get a bit more blow by than NA cars.

·
13,280 Posts
Not too much, maybe a quart every couple of thousand miles. Just made a mess without the puke can.

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
What purpose does the breather on top serve?

·
13,280 Posts
This is a picture of mine. Its fastened to the air intake box. This picture is a little old, but it gives you a good idea of how it was done. For a "cleaner" look, I changed the fitting pictured on the first photograph to a -6AN 90 degree elbow and rotated the canister about 45 degrees so it routes around the fender better. I also sent the canister out last week to have it chrome plated. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

[image]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p5d1504c76015627b2450c4e17d1d1575/fb198124.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p9ddf986ae37c83f356a180641e8cb2e6/fb198118.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p3b1b1e9b351deb2fda9c970829a16971/fb19810f.jpg[/image]

·
13,280 Posts
No, thats a moroso unit. Heffner did some of the plumbing, I did the plumbing for the puke can.

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
Clint Sever said:
PCV - Positive crankcase ventilation. It equalizes the gas pressures built up in the crankcase.

·
13,280 Posts
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
Clint Sever said:
PCV - Positive crankcase ventilation. It equalizes the gas pressures built up in the crankcase.
Stock it returns to the factory airbox where the oils and gasses are "recycled". However in an aftermarket application, this is more efficient and effective, although it will NOT pass emissions in California. California visual inspections require a "closed system".

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Smokin said:
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
Clint Sever said:
Stock it returns to the factory airbox where the oils and gasses are "recycled". However in an aftermarket application, this is more efficient and effective, although it will NOT pass emissions in California. California visual inspections require a "closed system".
I found that out the hard way. The ass actually made me go home and change it. I have mine so I can replace the breather with a solid cap and then run a line back to the airbox.

Actually, next time I'm just gonna have the dealer do it again. I've spent enough money at Hartzheim, and, the techs are both racers. They should just let it slide and not put me through the hoops.

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
Smokin said:
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
Clint Sever said:
Wow I didn't know that, thanks. Why the hell would you want spent gasses and oil coming back up into the airbox. I know under hard braking oil will collect in the airbox, but why is that, where is the oil coming from?

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
The oil collects in the valve covers. The valve covers vent to the airbox so that the gases are then inhaled back into the motor and burned. Thats the idea anyway. In practice, you end up with a quart of oil in your airbox and spend quite a while trying to figure how in the hell you are leaking oil in the front of your car where there are no oil lines or anything else that even remotely gets oiled.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I need to do this. When I first got the car and started tracking it I didn't know WTF was happening with all the oil in the front of the car till I took the air box apart and figured it out. Still haven't done anything about it yet but I think i will now that I see the fix. Good post.

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
Clint Sever said:
Why the hell would you want spent gasses and oil coming back up into the airbox.
Those jackass environmentalist think everyone is going to be covered in oil if PCV isn't recycled and burned in the motor. As if being covered by soot would be better. As Mark said though, it doesn't really work so no real harm done. Best would be to use the puke can and breather cap and seal off the line into the airbox.

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
Clint Sever said:
Why the hell would you want spent gasses and oil coming back up into the airbox.
Those jackass environmentalist think everyone is going to be covered in oil if PCV isn't recycled and burned in the motor. As if being covered by soot would be better. As Mark said though, it doesn't really work so no real harm done. Best would be to use the puke can and breather cap and seal off the line into the airbox.
Gotcha; thanks again Chuck, Mark, Jason. I never really understood that until now.

·
13,280 Posts
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
Clint Sever said:
You actually could have pretty much the SAME effect by sealing off the aftermarket breather filter and running a line to the airbox. The advantage is that you would trap most of the spent oils in the reservoir, but you would still have some gasses passing back into the intake. Although it doesnt have a CARB EO number, so it still wouldnt be legal, mouting the return line to the airbox at a point lower than the feed line would eliminate the possiblity of overflowing the reservoir.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Smokin said:
You actually could have pretty much the SAME effect by sealing off the aftermarket breather filter and running a line to the airbox. The advantage is that you would trap most of the spent oils in the reservoir, but you would still have some gasses passing back into the intake. Although it doesnt have a CARB EO number, so it still wouldnt be legal, mouting the return line to the airbox at a point lower than the feed line would eliminate the possiblity of overflowing the reservoir.
I have a different reservoir that has a return line, tapped back into my oil pan = self draining.
/images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

1 - 20 of 28 Posts