Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you really think about, don't you think that Dodge will give the new SRT-10 Coupe a little extra punch. The GTS had 50 more horses when it came out in 1996 and the ACR had a few extra ponies also. I think in the end Dodge will come through and bite the new Corvette in the butt. Beleive me Chrysler is waiting for the new Vette to come out, then they will make their next move. Hopefully the motor from the Carbon Coupe they showed recently will make it's way into the new Coupe.

Just wanted some other opinions on the matter.

Miles

·
Registered
33,838 Posts
Other manufacturers are getting 500 hp with a lot less less cubic inches. For the 500 cu in that the Viper engine currently has, to be competitive with everyone else (& to compensate for its lackluster appearance), the current generation Viper should be put out at least 600 hp. :nod:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, but that is what makes the Viper, the Viper, gobs of torque at any given RPM and the ability to make horsepower across the board. With a smaller motor such as the Vette's the power is more peaky. They already speculate the Vette to be around 3.9 0-60, i've seen 0-60 times for the Viper to be 3.6, plus in the 1/4 i beleive the Viper is at the top of 3rd going across the line, no Vette can do that. Plus the current convertible Viper pulls 1.01g on the skidpad, theres no comparison with the vette there. And with the coupe model coming out, which will be stiffer, thus handling better, i dont think Dodge has anything to worry about.

Miles

·
Registered
8 Posts
As of right now when the Viper Coupe comes out it will have the same specs as the Convertible with a higher top speed. The same 500hp/525lb.-ft. I do think however, after the new Z06 comes out Dodge may up the ponies if they cant keep up. But I dont see that happening any time soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree with baba, today's market is nuts..I think that 500 HP is the new standard:::z06, viper, and I believe I heard something about a 500 HP cobra??? 500 CU is tons to work with, and I think Dodge should increase the HP. If anyone has seen the top gear with the SRT10, Clarkson even stated if you gave a european engineer 8300's CC to play with he'd come up with more than 500 horsewpower.
Even if the viper stays with 500 HP and the vette goes up to 700HP, Im still taking the viper...just my .02

·
Registered
125 Posts
There is still a decent amount of weight that could be saved by re-doing the chassis and not using the old SRT-10 chassis. As far as horses,600 bhp for under 100k sounds pretty good. Allthough for the size of the engine it is capable of a hell of alot more than the lazy assses are willing to do with it

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Miles said:
True, but that is what makes the Viper, the Viper, gobs of torque at any given RPM and the ability to make horsepower across the board. With a smaller motor such as the Vette's the power is more peaky. They already speculate the Vette to be around 3.9 0-60, i've seen 0-60 times for the Viper to be 3.6, plus in the 1/4 i beleive the Viper is at the top of 3rd going across the line, no Vette can do that. Plus the current convertible Viper pulls 1.01g on the skidpad, theres no comparison with the vette there. And with the coupe model coming out, which will be stiffer, thus handling better, i dont think Dodge has anything to worry about.

Miles

0-60 in 3.6 on runflats??? You must be high.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Mark O said:
Other manufacturers are getting 500 hp with a lot less less cubic inches. For the 500 cu in that the Viper engine currently has, to be competitive with everyone else (& to compensate for its lackluster appearance), the current generation Viper should be put out at least 600 hp. :nod:
I would buy one if it had 600 hell yea...

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts
So said Kramer
Buy a Gen 2 and send it off for aftermarket parts. Dodge and DC don't care about the viper anymore.

For sure on that :nod: But I wish they'd start caring for about 5 seconds, because the Viper IS an Icon and still has so much potential left in it, even if it now looks like it had a 3 way accident with a Z06 and an S2000 :D

·
Registered
502 Posts
turboICE said:
If anyone has seen the top gear with the SRT10, Clarkson even stated if you gave a european engineer 8300's CC to play with he'd come up with more than 500 horsewpower.
it has nothing to do with Europeans...its DC's idiotic disregard for the fact that GM caught them and they were sitting there with their thumbs up their asses. Chrysler engineers could easily give us a 600hp SRT-10 for the same price they are charging now, or a very minimal price increase

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Viper4christ said:
even if it now looks like it had a 3 way accident with a Z06 and an S2000 :D
It took 152 posts, but you're finally making sense. Praise be to Allah if it continues.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Dodge will not increase the HP until the necessary redesign for the 2008(?) front-end federal law change (the same law change that is the reason for the Ford GT's 3 year run).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.