Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I recently did a pull on my Gen 3, I was shifting from 3-4 @ WOT but ended up hitting 2nd and I saw loud engine bangs coming from my hood.. I pulled over to check and everything seemed fine, any idea on what that could've been? Car drives fine but it scared me to see my hood go up & Down...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Get it on the lift and the mounts will be easy to inspect. Either Jack on the engine a little or pry bar between two mount halves to see if the rubber between has split.
It is/was common to miss the 2-3 shift on stock mounts as all that mass whips back to the left as soon as you let off on the throttle. Lots of people changed over to the polyurethane mounts for the engine and trans to get rid of this. Given the age of the car and the softness of the factory mounts it would not be uncommon to have one or both fail at this point.

do a little searching on here, lots of threads about them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With all of this said, I have never seen engine/hood clearance problems- you may have something else going on too.
Thanks for the great info, forgot to mention the car has a paxton supercharger not sure if it changes anything or not but the car has no engine or clearance problems i think it was the velocity i was traveling at and accidentally shifting from 3-2 instead of 3-4, quickly corrected it but the bangs coming from the hood seemed obnoxious so i figured id ask to get some ideas! Car has ran perfectly fine afterwards

·
Landscaping Professional
14,561 Posts
Imagine that - a simple, helpful excerpt from the service manual instead of a snarky dogpile!

Reactions: Recluse

·
Premium Member
19,939 Posts
Imagine that - a simple, helpful excerpt from the service manual instead of a snarky dogpile!
Yeah, I miss the good ole days.......................

;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts