Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have some questions hope some people will chime in on advice

i have a 95 rt10 21450 miles... took it to the dealer today and have been adviced i need the head gasket's changed
i was there and looked at the area where the head gaskets are and there 's some trailing of old fluid
coming from each bolt area nothing hitting the ground actually looks old but i,ve taking it to the top
viper mechanic here in arizona and he's telling me we should get it done. here''s my questions

1 if my warranty does'nt take care of it" i,ve had the warranty for 4 month and they already have put a sterring pump on and a oil pan gasket so they have done some work and payed" how much should this cost. there telling me 2800 to 3000

2had another dodge dealer look at it and he told me he see's these trailing all the time and i should.nt even worry about it
any body have these stains on there engine block and just not worried .

3i;d like to here from people who have been through this and what they went through

4 they said they would put on the new three layer metal gasket's and has done a lot of them and they have,nt failed
he had about 10 vipers in the garage as of today doing all types of work .he told me to keep driving the car and just check the fluids
each time before going out and i really should.nt worry but i should get them done

5 also is there and where is the serial # for the engine and how would i know it match's my car vin# just want to make sure i know what i,am getting in to here

thanks in advance for any advice Rob

·
Premium Member
19,281 Posts
If the Viper Tech writes it up, the warranty company should take care of it! This is why you bought the warranty! Why have something you can't use? force them to fix it, do not pay for it your self. If you do, cost is about $2000. The gasket kit alone is almost $1000 /images/graemlins/puke.gif /images/graemlins/puke.gif

·
Registered
161 Posts
Get it done. I'm freakin' about my '95 needing it one day. When it does, and it will! then I'm definately going to do some headwork. Who's your vipertech? Trustworthiness and experience definately counts around here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanks guys for chiming in. the tech i,am going to use is eddie martin at bill luke dodge in phx arizona.
the 2800 seems real high though the gaskets are 923.00 and the hourly rate should be around 90.00 the job should be arounded
8 to 10 hr if ya add all that up seems like 2000 should be the mark give or tak a couple hundred. i,ve talked to some very highly respect people "chuck tator" and he has really helped me out i wish i could just have him do it but i live here in arizona
anyway please keep the info coming especially if you have had this done and how your car is doing as i will do the same after mine is done........ any guitar players out there as well

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
My 1996 RT just received a complete Arrow engine rebuild.... under the extended warranty..... for the same symptoms...... at 35,000 miles on the odometer.

The Viper Tech said he could replace just the gaskets... but he recommended taking the full rebuild... the warranty folks balked at first but the Viper Tech convinced them the rebuild was the right way to go.

The down side..... I did not have my Viper for right about 10 weeks...
The up side.... a freshly rebuilt engine..... for a $100 deductible.

I would demand the rebuild. From the on-line searches I did here and at the .mORGue... it is worth the wait. New this, new that........ I am not sure I agree with others that there is more HP..... but I'll get it on a dyno soon... to check.

Also I picked up a new clutch assembly for the tech to install when reinstalling the engine.

Talk to your tech.... get him to back you and get the engine rebuild.. if you can stand to be without the Viper for 10 weeks.

Oh yeah... there are a few different numbers in the block... on the driver's side rear right up under the head.. (if I recall correctly)....I took a bunch of digital photos for future reference.

Good Luck,

Lance

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
The tech is right. I spoke to DW about it at Maxwell Dodge. (He's the Head Viper Tech.) DW said that all Gen I Vipers (up to and including 95) have this issue; a Dodge recognized problem of using a sub-standard set of headgaskets. :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

DW said that this is due to variable coefficients of expansion of the heads and block, nd that there will be seepage over time. Once these cars get into the 20K mile range then you will notice it even more. And this service work should be completed.

Again, being that this is a Dodge recognized "defect" (in my mind), Dodge should step up to the damn plate and pay for the new gaskets/install to fix their problem!!!!!! :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.