Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it finally arrived and I took it out for a drive. The steering has play in it. I didn't notice this before but no that I am driving on roads I am familiar with. Is it best to go to a particular dealership, or mechanic, or will any competent mechanic do?

·
Registered
919 Posts
For steering issues any competent mechanic should do. These cars are actually easier to work on than most cars.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,100 Posts
I'd start with checking inner tie rods for play and steering rack bushings for movement, Then look at wishbone bushings and ball joints. Inspect the lower frame rails for significant dents or kinks indicating more significant potential issues.

Check the alignment adjuster cams both front and rear for significant imbalances at each corner and across the car at each end. The reference holes in the cams should be within about 30* of straight up in most circumstances. Here are shots of VERY bad adjusters and reasonable ones at the same position.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the tip. I have an additional question. Is there a way to raise the front end of this car. Where I live the roads have lots of uneven surfaces designed for rain evacuation. And it keeps scraping on things. If there isn't a way to fix this I don't know if this is going to work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you for the tip. I have an additional question. Is there a way to raise the front end of this car. Where I live the roads have lots of uneven surfaces designed for rain evacuation. And it keeps scraping on things. If there isn't a way to fix this I don't know if this is going to work.
If your car isnt lowered already, its not going to work.

I think a midlife bronco might be better for you

·
Landscaping Professional
14,100 Posts
A restored big block B or E body Mopar with torsion bar/rear leaf suspension would handle poor roads with much more predictable manners.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No way to raise the front. I would measure the front air splitter from the ground and see what you have.

As far as Viper mechanics around your area, there is JMB motorsports in Hillsboro MO. They specialize in turbos and such but might be able to help diagnose your steering wheel play.

And be sure to post some pics of your car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay to clarify the roads are not necessarily bad, they just a bit hilly and have minor dips at times and are u shaped for rain evacuation and these driveways have a curb for drainage purposes. We have had LH sedans and New Edge Mustangs without much trouble . This one is just a bit too low for subdivisions in avoiding scraping and the rubber ramp fill-ins don't cut it. I can drive on the main roads and interstate so long as there are no railroad tracks. I heard others claim they took road trips with these. I doubt everyone is living and traveling in Kansas exclusively. How do you avoid scraping the front end?

·
Landscaping Professional
14,100 Posts
Even at stock ride height, the air dam is going to scrape 'some.' Even if you have stock shock absorbers in place, it is very possible that a previous owner installed lowering caps and a casual observer would not know how to spot the difference. Crowned, or "hogback" road cross sections are a real challenge to drive because of the extreme tire widths. If the alignment, including bump steer is not within spec it will be a very unforgiving ride requiring constant attention and both hands on the wheel.

Reactions: RobV

·
Registered
20 Posts
Okay to clarify the roads are not necessarily bad, they just a bit hilly and have minor dips at times and are u shaped for rain evacuation and these driveways have a curb for drainage purposes. We have had LH sedans and New Edge Mustangs without much trouble . This one is just a bit too low for subdivisions in avoiding scraping and the rubber ramp fill-ins don't cut it. I can drive on the main roads and interstate so long as there are no railroad tracks. I heard others claim they took road trips with these. I doubt everyone is living and traveling in Kansas exclusively. How do you avoid scraping the front end?
it's just a scrape at the bottom of the air dam...it happens. its just a car, enjoy it.

I drive in a city with potholes and railroad tracks and i have lowering caps. it scrapes occasionally but nothing is breaking off. Just drive accordingly when needed.

You're over thinking this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts