Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some troubleshooting help.

Here is what occurred.

I was driving my 1994 RT/10 last night and I shifted into 3rd gear going about 40-50 mph, nothing out of the ordinary. Upon doing so, there was a loud bam sound that came from, seemingly underneath the car or behind the seat of the car. I proceeded to let off the gas, but keep the car engaged in 3rd gear. Upon doing so, there was something of a grinding feeling coming again from behind the seat of the car. When I stepped back on the gas, the car shuttered and bam-bam again.

1. The motor seems to be 100% obsolete from my problem at this stage, so I have ruled that out.
2. I also belie that the transmition/clutch may be obsolete too because the car goes into and out of every gear smoothly.

So here is my question. Why then, while the car is engaged in basically every gear, I step on the throttle and the car shutters and bam-bams??? The slamming noise is so loud that it seems like someone is taking a sledgehammer and hitting the car in the rear???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

[email protected]

·
Landscaping Professional
14,065 Posts
Sounds like a torn or missing ladder bar bushing. The ladder bar is bolted to the diff, and ties to the transmission tunnel wall thru a bracket & bushing. It controls torque wind-up in the differential, so if the bushing is gone, you will hear and feel clanging near the seat bottom under accel and decel.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,065 Posts
It might be a halfshaft. Get it up on stands, or a lift and take a good look around. One look is worth 50 guesses.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Interesting comments. My GTS sometimes makes a pop when I stop and then accelerate in reverse (as in parking the car backwards). I don't spend much time under the posterior of the vehicle so maybe I should check it out real quick.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,065 Posts
The '96 and later cars have a different attachment method for the pinion end of the diff than the Gen1 cars. However, that revised pinion mount is a location where the Gen2 cars have experienced sporadic frame failures, thus necessitating the 998/999 recall program. Did you have your recall done?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Rear end drive shaft or halfshafts seem like the likely culprit. If you get it in the air and the frame isn't torn, and the halfshafts and driveshaft are intact and not twisted, I'd have to think it's the rear end.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Dean,

David Weaver looked up my car in the database, and he said the recall was done. neither I nor he has crawled under it to verify it though, and I didn't mention it when he prepped my car for ViperDays.

Sorry you couldn't make it. But business is business. We couldn't be doing what we do if we never gave a damn, right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts