Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

M3 opinions

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  REDTWINTURBOZ 
#1 ·
Anybody here ever owned an M3?

We're thinking about buying one for Sherry as a daily driver (the E46 version with the V8 and the six-speed). We looked at AMGs for awhile, but they are just a little too far on the old-man side of the luxury/performance equation for her tastes, and I've always kind of wanted to beat up on an M3...

#5 ·
Ah... I was apparently looking at information about the Hartge M3, which is an aftermarket company (sort of like Ruf, or what AMG used to do with Mercedes when they were independent) which puts the M5 S62 into the M3 and sells it as a new car.

Craig -- LOL Exactly my thoughts.

We won't be buying for a few months yet (we have to get the new house started), but if there was no negative feedback, I was going to start pushing it a little harder. Like me, Sherry is a bit disappointed with the current crop of automotive offerings but I suspect a "spirited" test drive of an M3 will get her attention.

It seems like all the bad things I hear about BMWs are related to their bigger cars. Everybody I know with a 3-series always seems to be quite pleased with them.

#8 ·
PM Smackie he knows a lot about them. Apparently there were some early production SMG cars that were blowing engines, althought he best place to ask would be on a bimmer forum. There is probably no better all around car than an M3

#9 ·
SJT97GTS said:
I don't see too many old people driving ///AMG's. Check the Mercedes-Benz Forums (www.mbworld.org) if you want more information on a better car then that Bimmer. :nod:
Don't get me wrong. They're fantastic cars, I know. Very, very comfortable. WAY up on the luxury side of things, and the performance is there. But this is mostly for my wife, and to her Mercedes screams "Old People", so it ain't happenin'. And I can kind of see her point.

Craig, SMG is the paddle-shift option, right? We aren't interested in that anyway.

My woman demands a stick. :thumb:

#10 ·
McGuireV10 said:
SJT97GTS said:
I don't see too many old people driving ///AMG's. Check the Mercedes-Benz Forums (www.mbworld.org) if you want more information on a better car then that Bimmer. :nod:
Don't get me wrong. They're fantastic cars, I know. Very, very comfortable. WAY up on the luxury side of things, and the performance is there. But this is mostly for my wife, and to her Mercedes screams "Old People", so it ain't happenin'. And I can kind of see her point.

Craig, SMG is the paddle-shift option, right? We aren't interested in that anyway.

My woman demands a stick. :thumb:
You are a lucky man!

Yeah SMG is that paddle shift BS.

#11 ·
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e46m3/

one of the best sites for info.

M3 V8? Strong race car that dominated Porsche on the tracks until Porsche cried and got the v8 M3 banned. Street Version? http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/bmw_m3gtr.asp

Early e46 did have oil issue that froze the motors. BMW tried to claim over rev and checks the ecu history on every case as it stores rpm info.

If buying used it's worth the $100 to have a pre-purchase inspection done at a good BMW dealer.

Fun daily driver if the size is ok.

#15 ·
Jamal Austin said:
SJT97GTS said:
In that case shouldn't he wait for the C55 AMG? Afterally, it does have an improved interior and transmission.
As you can figure, this is an ongoing debate amoung C32 owners. The C55 will be in the $60-$65K price range. This is $10K+ from the C32. While the majority agrees that the interior will be improved, the jump in price is the sticker to the current 32 owners.

This is similar to the GEN II vs. GEN III arguments on the Viper boards, although the only change in body style from the 32 to 55 are the CLK-like headlights.

#16 ·
SJT97GTS said:
Jamal Austin said:
SJT97GTS said:
In that case shouldn't he wait for the C55 AMG? Afterally , it does have an improved interior and transmission.
As you can figure, this is an ongoing debate amoung C32 owners. The C55 will be in the $60-$65K price range. This is $10K+ from the C32. While the majority agrees that the interior will be improved, the jump in price is the sticker to the current 32 owners.

This is similar to the GEN II vs. GEN III arguments on the Viper boards, although the only change in body style from the 32 to 55 are the CLK-like headlights.
Afterally :rofl:, I meant after all. I wasn't aware of the 10k price jump, that's crazy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.