Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Lower cost upgrades?

2K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  ViperJEDI 
#1 ·
I've got smooth tubes, K&Ns and the Mopar exhaust on the car. What can I add next to improve performance without dropping a few grand, adding nitrous or a blower?

I've been kicking around throttle bodies, but I hear that there's not much gain and you lose some bottom end. I'm also thinking about roller rockers but I have yet to see a before/after dyno run for these. I guess there's also the Mopar PCM or a reflash of mine. Any opinions welcomed...

#3 ·
Roller Rockers - ~$1,400
Pushrods - $100-200
Port & Polish - ~$2,500+
Used Vec1 = ~$200
Vec2 = $1,000
PCM Reprogram - Call WestCoastViper
AEM
Headers/Cats/No Cats? Not sure if you only did catback.

Also, don't forget wheels/brakes/suspension.

Nice looking car.

#6 ·
MoparMan said:
What kind of gains canbe expected from roller rockers/1.7 ratio? How about Vec1 or Vec2?
Someone else will comment on the rockers, but I'd expect you to go with a used VEC1 which is fairly inexpensive ($200-$300). Depending on how naturally out of tune your engine is, you would typically gain anywhere from 10 to 30 or 40 HP. I've seen a 30 to 35 HP gain pretty often.

#7 ·
#8 ·
#12 ·
vipergts2000 said:
99 RT/10 said:
Not to bust your balls but they are selling for 595.00 brand new on E bay...Might want to lower your price??????
I would consider lowering a little, but not THAT much. That is a plain steal.

#13 ·
99 RT/10 said:
vipergts2000 said:
99 RT/10 said:
Not to bust your balls but they are selling for 595.00 brand new on E bay...Might want to lower your price??????
I would consider lowering a little, but not THAT much. That is a plain steal.
The ones on Ebay are gone. Crower.com also sells them for 700 I think.

#16 ·
The cheapest way to build is to buy used/never been used, parts. I found a set of 1.7's for $600. Also a full exhust system(headers,cats ect) for $2000.

Just keep an eye out. Heck, I was kicking arould the idea of buying one of the race viper that where forsale, take off everything I could, return the race viper to stock then sell it....but...I just don't have to cash to do it.

#19 ·
tiepilot said:
You should get a "Vipair" I heard would add 50hp because it uses the super cool air in front of your engine. And less cost than anything mentioned so far!

/images/graemlins/laughing.gif
um...yeah...right...

#20 ·
The VEC1 and VEC2 help smooth out the power delivery. It's mild improvement, but notable, and there is no downside. I don't know if the new VEC2 is computer programmable, but the VEC-1 is just a black box that has two dials and a meter gauge for tuning the car's power.

Also from Roe Racing are their high flow cats for around $290 a pair.
For those of us who have smog testing and can't just cut out the cats entirely.
The high flow cats are a nice choice gaining some power, and more importantly cutting the side sill temps almost in half! /images/graemlins/toothy

#21 ·
So the VEC1 just patches into the car's PCM harness or is there other stuff to install?

It sounds like the biggest difference between the VEC1 and VEC2 is that the VEC2 uses memory cards that can be programmed on a PC> I would guess that because of this the VEC2 has many more points of adjustment. True?

#23 ·
If you delete the cats you'll need either a sim box or pcm reflash to keep the pcm from throwing codes. Smog is easy - as long the pcm doesn't throw any codes when they hook the scanner up to it you're good to go.

As far as mods, most of us are doing it ourselves - you could also try Phil, the Viper tech at Chapman Dodge - he's pretty good and is usually willing to help with mods.

If you're interested in joining the VCA or just hanging out stop by Hot Rod Grille in Henderson tomorrow (Wed 8/11) at 630pm - we have our monthly meetings there. Also check out www.nevadavipers.com

#25 ·
From some dyno graphs I've seen, the T&Ds largest power gain is above 4000rpm, just right for drag racing.

The VEC2 dyno chart showed lots of power gains below 4000, but basically almost zero above 4000rpm. So around town driving would be more spirited.

Big throttle bodies never seem to help any car under 550hp or so /images/graemlins/sad

#26 ·
Yeah, Sam sold us out and turned in his RT/10 for a goat. It was sitting on the point at Courtesy (Sahara and Rainbow) but I heard it was no longer out front. Maybe it's been sold already?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.