Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got smooth tubes, K&Ns and the Mopar exhaust on the car. What can I add next to improve performance without dropping a few grand, adding nitrous or a blower?

I've been kicking around throttle bodies, but I hear that there's not much gain and you lose some bottom end. I'm also thinking about roller rockers but I have yet to see a before/after dyno run for these. I guess there's also the Mopar PCM or a reflash of mine. Any opinions welcomed...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Roller Rockers - ~$1,400
Pushrods - $100-200
Port & Polish - ~$2,500+
Used Vec1 = ~$200
Vec2 = $1,000
PCM Reprogram - Call WestCoastViper
AEM
Headers/Cats/No Cats? Not sure if you only did catback.

Also, don't forget wheels/brakes/suspension.

Nice looking car.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of gains canbe expected from roller rockers/1.7 ratio? How about Vec1 or Vec2?

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
MoparMan said:
What kind of gains canbe expected from roller rockers/1.7 ratio? How about Vec1 or Vec2?
Someone else will comment on the rockers, but I'd expect you to go with a used VEC1 which is fairly inexpensive ($200-$300). Depending on how naturally out of tune your engine is, you would typically gain anywhere from 10 to 30 or 40 HP. I've seen a 30 to 35 HP gain pretty often.

·
Premium Member
19,653 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like I need to do more research on the VEC1 or VEC2. I assume you dial these in with a laptop and some dyno time, right?

·
Premium Member
19,653 Posts
vipergts2000 said:
99 RT/10 said:
Not to bust your balls but they are selling for 595.00 brand new on E bay...Might want to lower your price??????
I would consider lowering a little, but not THAT much. That is a plain steal.

·
Registered
597 Posts
99 RT/10 said:
vipergts2000 said:
99 RT/10 said:
Not to bust your balls but they are selling for 595.00 brand new on E bay...Might want to lower your price??????
I would consider lowering a little, but not THAT much. That is a plain steal.
The ones on Ebay are gone. Crower.com also sells them for 700 I think.

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
The cheapest way to build is to buy used/never been used, parts. I found a set of 1.7's for $600. Also a full exhust system(headers,cats ect) for $2000.

Just keep an eye out. Heck, I was kicking arould the idea of buying one of the race viper that where forsale, take off everything I could, return the race viper to stock then sell it....but...I just don't have to cash to do it.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
You should get a "Vipair" I heard would add 50hp because it uses the super cool air in front of your engine. And less cost than anything mentioned so far!

/images/graemlins/laughing.gif

·
Team Crown Recruiter
11,439 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tiepilot said:
You should get a "Vipair" I heard would add 50hp because it uses the super cool air in front of your engine. And less cost than anything mentioned so far!

/images/graemlins/laughing.gif
um...yeah...right...

·
Registered
190 Posts
The VEC1 and VEC2 help smooth out the power delivery. It's mild improvement, but notable, and there is no downside. I don't know if the new VEC2 is computer programmable, but the VEC-1 is just a black box that has two dials and a meter gauge for tuning the car's power.

Also from Roe Racing are their high flow cats for around $290 a pair.
For those of us who have smog testing and can't just cut out the cats entirely.
The high flow cats are a nice choice gaining some power, and more importantly cutting the side sill temps almost in half! /images/graemlins/toothy

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.