Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the car out a few nights ago and was having so much fun I forgot to monitor my fuel. When I finally looked it was basically below the last line and I was actually afraid of running out of gas /images/graemlins/sad I made it to a gas station and filled it up about half a tank and drove home about 2 miles. Took it out again last night and drove it another 2 miles to grab something to eat. When I get out to head home the car won't idle unless I throttle it. I was able to drive it home but whenever I accelerate it seems like it's not getting the fuel and boggs. I can drive it at a constant speed but I need to take it up there gradually. The car just doesn't sound like it's running on all 10 cylinders.

Could I have caused anything by letting my fuel run so low? Can there be some air trapped in the lines?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
I've heard a "rule of thumb" that letting your car run out of gas (or nearly) can cause any dirt or junk that has formed/built-up over time in the gas tank to be put into the engine. If it sounds like it's missing a cylinder then it could be a fouled plug due to whatever was in the tank, but honestly it just sounds like a coincedence and the cause is something else.

·
RIP - Gone But Not Forgotten
18,149 Posts
Running low on fuel can screw up your pump.

It is submersed in gas and that helps keep it cool. When you get low it no longer is in that gas and builds up heat. The rest I am sure you can figure out.

One time may not do it, but just how many times have you run it below 1/4 tank or so?

Rule of thumb, don't go below a 1/4 tank.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
791 Posts
yes but he's commented on that he's run it down lots of times...he's prob burned up the pump...but as you said..it could be a bad tank of gas...where did you get the gas??..at a decent place or a stop and rob??....i'd get the fuel pressure checked and if it's ok then change the fuel filter and add some treatment or drain the bad gas out....Len

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't think it was the pump because I did drive it for about 4 miles total so if the pump went bad wouldn't I not be able to start or drive the car at all due to no gas. Normally get gas at Shell or Mobil but I was worried that I might have accidentally put in the wrong grade of gas /images/graemlins/sad but I'm pretty sure I didn't.

Got home from work and disconnected the battery to maybe reset the computer. I also have a Vec1 and I was told that we should do this once in a while anyway. Put it back together and it fired right up and idled like before. I'll take it out tonight and hope it's all ok and that it was just a computer glitch or something.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took it out last night for a few hours and it ran better. Still had hesitations whenever I would mash down on the go pedal but it's idling fine now. I'll throw in some injector cleaner next and see if that clears things up.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Overheating your fuel pump isn't likely unless your car is pretty old and you truly run around with a low tank all the time. With the way these cars can suck down a tank of fuel, you'd hear about this a lot more often if the pumps were that vulnerable. I've actually lost two pumps on full size Rams due to age and overheating, and you can hear them when they go. They make all kinds of noises for months as they eat themselves alive. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Other than the obvious bad gas, fuel filter, plugs, or injectors, the RT/10 has a relay in the trunk which controls the fuel pump. If that comes loose, you'll get erratic surges and stalls. This happens a lot when people hit the curbing at race tracks. It's way back in the left corner, just unplug it then plug it back in again. (I haven't ever messed with it myself, but I know people who got caught out by it, and I've read about it... I think there was a thread here on the Alley about this just a few weeks back, actually.)

As far as running it low goes... one time in the Middle of Fucking Nowhere, which is a town in West Texas formerly known as Area69, I ran mine down to bone dry. It stuttered and began to stall as I rolled up to the gas station. Zero problems after filling it up again, and I put over 1400 miles on it on the trip home the following day.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, never thought of reseating the relay in the back. I'll do that when I get back also. My buddy was stuck on the side of the road one day and was just about to call the tow truck when I asked him what happened. He mentioned it just wouldn't start after dying while driving. Told him to check the relay and sure enough it popped out and was just sitting there. Put it back in and off he went.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.