Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a C5 Corvette, and have owned it for around a year. I have always wanted a Viper, and am finally deciding to get one...

ow hard are these cars to drive? I hear so many people saying that they are hard to drive, definitely are not for every day driving, and there really is no place to rest your foot from the clutch except under the clutch...

Mind you I am a fairly new driver (18 yrs old), however I have worked hard to afford my toys, and am very serious about the purchase of a Viper. It truly is my dream car but if this car is too much for me to handle I feel like I should just settle with an M3, NSX, or something of the like. I am keeping my vette so of course this car will only be driven on the weekends.

As far as my driving experience I have never been to a track, I do take my Vette to WOT, but have never gone over 100 MPH... I learned not to floor the Vette around a curve as you can lose control, and really my TC never turns on in the vette because I try my best to drive it safe and I know my limitations, however I am still worried that I cannot handle a Viper... It will be almost IMPOSSIBLE for me to get a test drive since I am 18 and even if I pull up to a dealership around me with my Vette the dealership may just think it's my dads and not look at me...

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
To get a ride in a viper do what I did. Get ahold of some VCA members in your area tell them your story. Many viper owner are happy to give out rides....it's a good excuse for us to drive our cars.

As far as dealers go. Fuck THEM! I had the same issue when I bought my viper. I too am very young (25). But I bought my viper off the net. I didn't get any of the bullshit you get when you walk into a showroom. The dealer was happy to get his 52,000 in cash. I was happy to own a 6kmi 01 viper acr.

The car isn't as hard as people make it sound. It's one torque SOB though. it's great driving around at 1200rpm or below....even on the freeway. Then stop the gas (make sure the wheel is 100% in-line.) Blow past most anything you see on the freeway. Heck I took out a saleen SR....and my acr is STOCK.

Performance parts are a BITCH! CRAZY exspensive. I love my viper. The only thing I don't like is the price of parts. But when you have a rare car...I guess that's just the price you have to pay.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
7,234 Posts
Zon:

Your biggest problem is that you're 18. With a few exceptions, virtually every 18 year old will crash a Viper within 6 months. Yeah, harsh and prejudiced, but it's an all too stark reality! The fact is that you invariably CANNOT control your Vette now, despite your claims to the alternative. Controlling a Viper is an ongoing work in progress for even the experienced racer!

I've got absolutely no problem with you're owning one. If you've earned it, hey , go buy it! Good for you! But it is a far cry from a Corvette to drive and, as far as I'm concerned, NOT safe for an 18 year old mindset! If I had one when I was 18, I wouldn't have made 19....and I was probably the least stupid of all of my 18 year old friends!

Sorry but odds are that, despite the fact that you can afford one, if you don't kill yourself, you'll kill some innocent friend that you decide to impress with the cars tq "just this one time".

Stick with your corvette. Go to a few driving schools. Join a track club in your area. Learn fear and respect...and then you've got my vote. But then again, that's just my opinion. /images/graemlins/wink

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is the real difference between a Viper with 450 hp and a modded Vette with 450 HP except the TC?

I will have ABS on my Viper btw. I am a very careful driver, and like I said I have never touched 100 mph. Highest I have gone is maybe low 90's where the Speed limit was 70... I respect these cars, but my real concern is whether or not this car is VERY difficult to drive, and what people mean by difficult as I am unsure. Lots of people also say it is tiring to drive?... What is meant by that.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't know. This guy sounds like he would do ok with a Viper. He sounds like he has a lot of self control. I did too when I was 18 and was able to cruise around on a crotch rocket without ever having a single problem. I say go for it! /images/graemlins/thumbs2

Mark
/images/graemlins/smiles

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lucifer said:
Zonify said:
whether or not this car is VERY difficult to drive
Yes, being 18 you will more then likely die a horrible death as your Viper becomes your fiery grave on the side of the road.

Enjoy your Tupperware C5 and fuck off. /images/graemlins/saw
You're an asshole, and I am glad most Viper owners aren't pricks like yourself.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Car is really pretty easy to drive, just don't do anything stupid and you will be fine. I use mine as a daily driver and have have never had any problem. Just remember to think with your head and don't try to impress anyone and you should stay out of trouble. Make sure the car is pointed straight before you hit the gas. I have had 2 C5's this is a much different beast.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The fact is, when it comes down to it...you must drive one first. You obviously cant go down to the dealer and test drive one because they are assholes, so try to find an owner or rent one for $300. It'll be worth it. I know an owner who has a very highly modded SRT-10 and drives it daily (His other cars are a Diablo 6.0 and a Murcielago, go figure). I guess it just depends on the driver. I would venture to guess your not completely ready for a Viper. Wait a little while until you can completely manhandle your C5, do some serious mods to it so when you step to the Viper you are ready for it.

-Doug

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
This is the welcome I was talking about. Don't take offense to it. You have to be thick skinned to stay here.....SO FUCK OFF!!!

Now that the welcome is out of the way. I drove Corvette's before the Viper. I even raced it on a track. When I got the Viper, it took me a little while to get use to it. If you get a non ABS car (pre '01), the front wheels lock up way before the rear do. This causes most people in a panic to hit something straight on. The other thing that bites people is the torque that this car has. You can be headed straight with the tires smoking and a little jerk or something can send you off.

If you get one, try autocrossing or a driver school at the track. Oh, and GET INSURNACE!!!! Most of the time they are totalled when in an accident. So protect yourself.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.