Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to buy a GTS, pref steel grey or sapphire blue, looking for something around $50K.

Any thoughts guys on if ABS is that much of a difference, or will I be fine without it? What about driving in the rain-have you gone somewhere and had to drive home in it, how does the viper handle?

thanks

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I like confrontational's two graphite vipers. They definately looks great both in RT/10 and GTS (he has one of each).

I haven't tried ABS (i got an 00) but i don't know if it would do that much of a difference with the kind of driving that i do.

I've drove mine in rain, as you can imagine it can be a bit hairy. Also i quickly realized that my RT/10's top is a bit leaky... :)

I know several folks who drive their GTS's in rain and doesn't think too much of it. Once in a drive i saw a guy who tried to keep up with a lambo hit a wet spot on the road -he went sideways off the road (and took down a Lotus TT in the process). Beware of being too agressive with the gas with such as high HP car (and wide tires) as the viper.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
If you are interested I have a 1998 Grey with 6700 miles and 1 years factory warranty remaining. Feel free to call me 1-804-347-1808. I didn't know if you were looking for a car with forged or cast pistons.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
My Sapphire/Stripes GTS is for sale.

Beautiful 2001 Dodge Viper GTS in sapphire blue with factory silver stripes
and black leather interior. Original owner, non-smoker.
Absolutely stunning, no wrecks or dings, 8500 miles. Always garaged and
well maintained. I only used Zaino detail products on the car.
Minor mods are Corsa 3" exhaust with 4" tips and RT high flow cats,
Roe intake tubes/filters and MGW shift knob. All OEM parts are included
to return to 100% stock. I have all documentation and manuals.
Transferable Full MaxCare Extended Warranty also included.

For more photo's see my gallery:
http://gallery.viperclub.org/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/9235

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bought 2002 about 3 weeks ago (see Avatar). It's my daily driver...driven quite often in light, moderate, and heavy rain. It behaves very well. Had a Zo6 before and find Viper handles far better. The main irritant is that young boy racers want to have a go. This happens very often. Yesterday, for example. 2 very young guys in a Cobra mustang kept encouraging me to pull alonside (on a 4 lane). I feel that driving a Viper, I had don't to prove anything to anybody. It may not be the fastest car out there. I certainly am not the most proficient driver...but it's plenty fast enough for my daily appetite.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Having ABS was a strong buying point for me. You should also look at the Graphite color (2002). Steel Gray was my first choice based on pictures, but when I saw the colors in person, I prefered the Graphite.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
forensicsteve said:
Bought 2002 about 3 weeks ago (see Avatar). It's my daily driver...driven quite often in light, moderate, and heavy rain. It behaves very well. Had a Zo6 before and find Viper handles far better. The main irritant is that young boy racers want to have a go. This happens very often. Yesterday, for example. 2 very young guys in a Cobra mustang kept encouraging me to pull alonside (on a 4 lane). I feel that driving a Viper, I had don't to prove anything to anybody. It may not be the fastest car out there. I certainly am not the most proficient driver...but it's plenty fast enough for my daily appetite.

thanks, that's good info. I currently drive a Z06, so I know the reference and that gives me a good idea of what to expect

am checking out the vipers listed for sale, thanks guys-hope to be in one in the next 2 wks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
all viper owners are saying the car handles amazing meanwhile other people that test drive them say that they handle poorly. I have a C5 vette with suspension mods and have been deciding on making the change to a viper but the mixed reviews are keeping me away.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, pulled the trigger and got the '01 GTS, Sapphire blue/cognac

bought it at vipersforsale.com from Marv Rose, outstanding service.

I couldn't believe how fast I got the check-24 hrs, already overnighted to the dealer and it's a done deal yahooooooo!

Hope my Z06 doesn't get jealous, 'cause this viper's gonna get a LOTTA attention this summer!

thanks for all the advice guys

·
Registered
587 Posts
That was quick! Congrats on the purchase! :thumb: I love my Sapphire blue GTS :nod:

Leslie said:
well, pulled the trigger and got the '01 GTS, Sapphire blue/cognac

bought it at vipersforsale.com from Marv Rose, outstanding service.

I couldn't believe how fast I got the check-24 hrs, already overnighted to the dealer and it's a done deal yahooooooo!

Hope my Z06 doesn't get jealous, 'cause this viper's gonna get a LOTTA attention this summer!

thanks for all the advice guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.