Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have been in the market for a viper for about a month now. For insurance purposes im looking for a 93 to make it more affoardable. I have one that im going to look at in a couple days and wondering what to look for?

What are the problems with the 93 vipers? Anything i should pay close attention to? or ask if it has been done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,741 Posts
There's some really nice Gen I's (92-95) out there if you are patient and spend enough time learning about them. Insurance shouldn't be drastically different from a 93-95, so you may want to spread your year options a bit. However, if you are worried about insurance cost then you might wanna wait until your a bit more open financially. Owning a Viper is a lot more than just paying the car payment and insurance, anything else involved with it is gonna cost more than the average car. I'm not talking about them breaking down a lot, I'm just saying that for average maintenance any car would get the Viper will cost more. Add in $700-$1200 tires, regular maintenance, the itch to "mod" and you'll be spending more then your car payment is.

There's ton of information on this site, just use the search. You can also try the moregue (www.viperclub.com) they have lots of info or their site as well as a good forum to ask questions at too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,999 Posts
Maurice Liang made a Viper Buyers Guide for around $16 that has a lot of good year specific info in it. You may want to get yourself a copy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kiaser said:
There's some really nice Gen I's (92-95) out there if you are patient and spend enough time learning about them. Insurance shouldn't be drastically different from a 93-95, so you may want to spread your year options a bit. However, if you are worried about insurance cost then you might wanna wait until your a bit more open financially. Owning a Viper is a lot more than just paying the car payment and insurance, anything else involved with it is gonna cost more than the average car. I'm not talking about them breaking down a lot, I'm just saying that for average maintenance any car would get the Viper will cost more. Add in $700-$1200 tires, regular maintenance, the itch to "mod" and you'll be spending more then your car payment is.

There's ton of information on this site, just use the search. You can also try the moregue (www.viperclub.com) they have lots of info or their site as well as a good forum to ask questions at too.

Thank you for the reply, I have been over and over the insurance, and the jump from a 93 viper to a 94-up viper is over 100$ more a month. I do not know why this is, but its the same for several insurance companies. Affoarding the viper is not a problem, I own a Z28 now that i have dumped 22 grand into, and believe me i understand that crap goes wrong especially with older cars. Its not meant to be a daily driver, the viper is going to be a garage queen and get some weekend driving, if it breaks down, i have plenty of time to fix it. But paying 150$ more a MONTH, for one year difference, i thought why not just go for the 93...

Im physically going to look at one within the week, and just wanted to know what i should be looking for? are there any common problems with the 93 or gen 1 models in general that i should be careful of? i have been doing several searches and come up with...

1. the dash's get flakey?
2. the head gasket is a problem?
3. some of them had to be repainted by dodge?

please add some more so i can look.

this is the camaro im currently selling

http://members.cox.net/dpitlyuk/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,280 Posts
What insurance company do you have? When I went from my 94 RT to a brand new Final Edition, the increase in insurance was not near $150 a month and this is for an unmarried male driver, under 25, and living in los angeles. If I were you, I'd look around for another insurance carrier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
progressive and geico, give me a rate of over 100$ more just from going from 93-94

from a 94-up the price difference is very slim, like a 94 compared to a 01 is very simliar, not sure why.. check for yourself.. progressive.com and get a free quote, takes 2 mins
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nothing to look for? need some help here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
I have nationwide and it is cheap Ins. Granted good drivers. But three vehicles including new 1 ton truck. Mec. and viper less than 2000 year with super high shit and stackable uninsured. Sorry to say it but if you are worried about the Ins. rate, you really cannot afford the car. That was hearse BUT I had a 95 vette once ( yellow ) with stupid gieco and for NO REASON AT ALL, they raise the Ins. with in one year I could not afford the car. And was forced to sell it. LOST MY ASS. Be careful Ins comp. will fuck every time they can.

Did not want to be hard on stranger, but someone should point that out to you, again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yellowstain said:
I have nationwide and it is cheap Ins. Granted good drivers. But three vehicles including new 1 ton truck. Mec. and viper less than 2000 year with super high shit and stackable uninsured. Sorry to say it but if you are worried about the Ins. rate, you really cannot afford the car. That was hearse BUT I had a 95 vette once ( yellow ) with stupid gieco and for NO REASON AT ALL, they raise the Ins. with in one year I could not afford the car. And was forced to sell it. LOST MY ASS. Be careful Ins comp. will fuck every time they can.

Did not want to be hard on stranger, but someone should point that out to you, again.
well no offense but noone seems to understand here. The question im looking for is what to look for in a 93 viper??????????????
nothing to do with insurance.

for insurance purposes, it is 150$ a month less to get a 93 as oppsed to a 94-up (with my insurance). So why not save 150$ a month and get a 93? This is not a matter of it being unaffordable, its a matter of why not save 150$ a month and just get a car one year earlier???? makes sense to me. or perhaps you guys like to just throw away money?

so if we could get off the topic of insurance lol and please help me with what kinda problems/things i need to look for in a 93 viper. I live in Fairfax, VA... but am looking at two 93 vipers right now for sale. Im going to look at one this weekend and really need some help as to what i should look for that is bad so that i might not buy it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,999 Posts
Head gasket issues with GEN1's. See if the car you are looking at has this addressed.
 

·
Landscaping Professional
Joined
·
14,339 Posts
Look for air conditioning. If it isn't on the car, you won't get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Simms said:
Head gasket issues with GEN1's. See if the car you are looking at has this addressed.
the one im going to look at has newer head gaskets he says. Were the factory head gaskets junk? and by replacing them it solves the problem? or do they need to be replaced every so often in this vehicle?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top