Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently searching for my next toy and the viper is high on the list.
What should I look for in terms of maintainance completed?
Are they reliable?
I like the GTS coupe, what year is the best to go for?

I appreciate the advice.

· Donald Trump's Landlord
7,234 Posts
Sheesh Rob....maybe someone will chime in here, but perhaps you should do a site search to get a bit more acquainted with the car? Since it is apparent that you are looking for a used Gen 2 (GTS), give us a clue as to how much you plan to spend and how you intend to use the car (posing, track, drag)?

Oh, and welcome to the Alley.

· Premium Member
4,012 Posts
best yr for GTS 97.

personally if you want to look the best while still ahving the baddest bucket on the roads youd get an RT10 not a GTS that way you can be seen and that roof can be tossed in the garage.

hell yes the viper is reliable

what should you look for in terms of maint; basic common sense maint; oil changes, tires, tranny etc;

piss on worrying about mileage, its a damn 488-V10 its gonna last forever if you take care of it so dont go stuck on stupid if it got a few miles. hell they dont even break in good until 30K /images/graemlins/drive

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Decide about year and color first: 97-99 for the lumpy cam, 01 and 02 for the ABS. Yellow is popular, but lots of other great choices.
Once you decide that, start taking specific examples of your choice to a nearby Vipertech to ensure they are in good running order. Vipertech will check to see the frame mod has been done correctly.
Other than that, it's personal preference. I'd recommend you try to find the car that has the mods you want already on it. Example, 3.55 gears, exhaust, headers, and niceties like the short throw shifter, MGW mods, etc.
Wheels and tires are another item you can look out for.
Good luck!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the info. Is there a big difference in the ACR as opposed to the regular GTS?
What mods really help the car out in power?
How do these cars handle? I drove one several years back and tested the power more than the handling.

I am looking to spend about $50000

· Donald Trump's Landlord
7,234 Posts
Rob said:
Thank you for the info. Is there a big difference in the ACR as opposed to the regular GTS?
What mods really help the car out in power?
How do these cars handle? I drove one several years back and tested the power more than the handling.

I am looking to spend about $50000
Rob:

Research much of this for yourself here.

Many HP mods are available from inexpensive (smooth tubes and filters) to expensive (turbo and super-chargers). Some mods actually increase HP and some don't, but "feel" like they do (gear change). Again, it would help us if you explain how you plan to use your car.

As for handling, the car will handle far better than you can drive....at least until you get plenty of seat time and some schooling.

· Premium Member
4,012 Posts
50K; you will do fine with that amount to spend. actually Id look for a good deal with midmileage for say around 35K and put the other 15K into upgrades (performance and handling combined), then wammo! youre in the bigleagues instantly /images/graemlins/toothy

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CitySnake thanks for the page.
I am planning to use the car more for pleasure driving and do want to take it to road circuit racing once and a while. I am sure that the power of the viper is sufficient, I just didn't know how the handling of the car is.

It seems the ACR has upgraded suspension which is really appealing to me. How are the brakes on the viper, are they 4 piston up front?

· You mean Shenanigans
4,669 Posts
Rob said:
How are the brakes on the viper, are they 4 piston up front?
Yes, 4 piston Brembos up front. Single piston rear caliper. Look into StopTech for complete brake upgrades. Even their slotted rotors when combined with SS lines, good pads, and fluid make a nice upgrade.

· Registered
5,021 Posts
Thanks CitySnake for that all-inclusive registry page.........great great info for a FAQ guide.

· Premium Member
20,183 Posts
There is also a book out that will help you make an informed decision, check this out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.