Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying one. You know the typical newbie stuff. I checked but I couldn't find anything. I must not know what I'm looking for. Here is what I do know.

1.) Gen 2 is from 97-02. 97-99 Gen II had forged pistions. So that's what I'm going for.

2.) Prices seem to be from 45-55k for good shape.

3.) Problem areas...other then breaks could use upgrades...I know nothing.

4.) Other then that...I'm Viper Stupid.

What are my plans for the car. Mostly weekend race...that I can drive to and from the track. I'm leaning to something like a 99 ACR w/ Roe supercharger and supporting mods (1.7 Rocker arms, 3" exhust, headers and maybe a new AEM computer....and new brake system.) I used to AutoX alot...but I'm wanting to road race. I really need a classes (skip barber maybe) I've never had a RWD other then my Ford Ranger.

Anything would be great. Even links to post that other new guys like me have had the same question answered before.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What normaly fails. (other then worn out tires...hahaha I know what that's from.) :p

What is involved to install ABS on a NON-ABS Viper? Or should I just nut up and lean how to stop without ABS?

Racing isn't new to me. However racing RWD is. I AutoX a neon ACR. I've grown up a little...now it's time for a new car. AutoX is great but I want to road race.

Track time is important. That's the best mod you can make....your driving. I learned more in 1 track day then I did in a month's worth of reading. I had a great guy teach me so much about AutoX. If he didn't help me out...I'm sure I never would have been as good as I am.

I've NEVER raced a RWD car...so I've got much to learn before I go road racing. I will stay with AutoX untill I feel I'm ready for something faster. I would hate to spin the car and hit a wall because I rushed it. That would be dumb.

Just how bad are the breaks on the viper. 12x feet from 70-0 isn't that bad. Do the stock breaks fade quickly?

BTW I had no idea 96 GTS had the Gen II engine in it. Leaning every day.

Thanks for all the info so far. Please feel feel to tell me anything that comes to mind....even if it's "Goto Hell" :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.