Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying one. You know the typical newbie stuff. I checked but I couldn't find anything. I must not know what I'm looking for. Here is what I do know.

1.) Gen 2 is from 97-02. 97-99 Gen II had forged pistions. So that's what I'm going for.

2.) Prices seem to be from 45-55k for good shape.

3.) Problem areas...other then breaks could use upgrades...I know nothing.

4.) Other then that...I'm Viper Stupid.

What are my plans for the car. Mostly weekend race...that I can drive to and from the track. I'm leaning to something like a 99 ACR w/ Roe supercharger and supporting mods (1.7 Rocker arms, 3" exhust, headers and maybe a new AEM computer....and new brake system.) I used to AutoX alot...but I'm wanting to road race. I really need a classes (skip barber maybe) I've never had a RWD other then my Ford Ranger.

Anything would be great. Even links to post that other new guys like me have had the same question answered before.

·
You mean Shenanigans
4,979 Posts
I don't see any direct questions so my only suggestion is to continue to search/read the forums and be patient.

·
Sexist
44,412 Posts
Not many superchargers at the track. The 7K you put into a supercharger can pay for a lot of open track days which will make you a lot faster than 100 hp.

BTW GenII = 96GTS/97RT to 02.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Like Chuck said, can the supercharger idea period if your tracking the car. Spend that dough on the Stop Tech big brake package, spare set of track tires, and seat time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What normaly fails. (other then worn out tires...hahaha I know what that's from.) :p

What is involved to install ABS on a NON-ABS Viper? Or should I just nut up and lean how to stop without ABS?

Racing isn't new to me. However racing RWD is. I AutoX a neon ACR. I've grown up a little...now it's time for a new car. AutoX is great but I want to road race.

Track time is important. That's the best mod you can make....your driving. I learned more in 1 track day then I did in a month's worth of reading. I had a great guy teach me so much about AutoX. If he didn't help me out...I'm sure I never would have been as good as I am.

I've NEVER raced a RWD car...so I've got much to learn before I go road racing. I will stay with AutoX untill I feel I'm ready for something faster. I would hate to spin the car and hit a wall because I rushed it. That would be dumb.

Just how bad are the breaks on the viper. 12x feet from 70-0 isn't that bad. Do the stock breaks fade quickly?

BTW I had no idea 96 GTS had the Gen II engine in it. Leaning every day.

Thanks for all the info so far. Please feel feel to tell me anything that comes to mind....even if it's "Goto Hell" :)

·
Registered
19,179 Posts
Buy one set up for the track and save some time and money.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
excellent choice, IMO 99 is hands down best viper yr for total package viper.

as for upgrades roe and pxton DIY SC seem to be amazing and are slowly but surely starting to rule the SC vipe world. with roadcoursing though, neither a good idea so do all your bolt-on mods, hanlding and braking mods and go kick ass. plenty of power with all standard bolt-on mods to whup ass in roadcoursing if youve enough seattime. PMUM proved this and even did it in USCC, proving power isnt everything. lastly, if you still do want more power and are also sticking with roadcoursing, simple solution; stay all motor and do heads/cam. thats the way i went.

good luck, have fun, drive it like you stole it and see you at some events perhpas :fist:

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
If you want to roadrace, why not just go with your neon? Easy vehicle to learn in and cheap to fix.

You're talking about jumping from autox'ing a neon to roadracing a supercharged viper - thats like hopping off the merry-go-round and looking for a mount in the kentucky derby! If I was you, I'd put some money into the neon like racing seats/harnesses and then start roadracing - rather than jump into a Viper straight off.

If you do go with a Viper and plan to roadrace, its hard to beat the value of ACRs in the used market. Once you get one, I can tell you what to do from there - but adding a supercharger shouldn't be on the list.

·
Sexist
44,412 Posts
_Mark said:
If you want to roadrace, why not just go with your neon? Easy vehicle to learn in and cheap to fix.
That's exactly what I was thinking. In fact, I know guys that have gone back to Neons for just that reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi SRT, do you mean full on dedicated racing with a fully prepped race car, or weekend track days and the occasional time trials like Viper Days? Full out racing in the Viper will be expensive, and you should determine what class you want to run in, and the specific rules, before doing any mods.

For track days, just get some good pads, high temp fluid, and a 'performance' alignment. I did get the front Stoptech kit because the stock brakes were so weak compared to my Alcon equipped Z28, but there are plenty of fast guys running the stock setup. I don't think retro-fitting ABS is practical. although, I did flat spot and ruin a tire at Thunderhill....

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
_Mark said:
That's exactly what I was thinking. In fact, I know guys that have gone back to Neons for just that reason.
I've been toying with doing a season in Spec Miata. Also, looks like ViperDays now has a class for Neons.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
V10 MOJO said:
excellent choice, IMO 99 is hands down best viper yr for total package viper.

as for upgrades roe and pxton DIY SC seem to be amazing and are slowly but surely starting to rule the SC vipe world. with roadcoursing though, neither a good idea so do all your bolt-on mods, hanlding and braking mods and go kick ass. plenty of power with all standard bolt-on mods to whup ass in roadcoursing if youve enough seattime. PMUM proved this and even did it in USCC, proving power isnt everything. lastly, if you still do want more power and are also sticking with roadcoursing, simple solution; stay all motor and do heads/cam. thats the way i went.

good luck, have fun, drive it like you stole it and see you at some events perhpas :fist:
What makes the 1999 RT better than the 1998 RT... in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts