Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a pair of front calipers you want to sell? I need an extra set for my 1996 RT/10.

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
I know what you mean. I'm looking for a set too. I want to replace my rear calipers so all 4 say "viper".

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Tanked said:
I know what you mean. I'm looking for a set too. I want to replace my rear calipers so all 4 say "viper".
That is a hell of a job better check into it. Scott at Elite did it and you will have to replace your rear spindles as well.
C~

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
your kidding........geesh. I could have swear I heard the bolt right in. Isn't that why they always put the front calipers on the rear when doing a big brake kit?

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
SNAKE HYDES said:
Tanked said:
That is a hell of a job better check into it. Scott at Elite did it and you will have to replace your rear spindles as well.
C~
And you'll most certainly throw the bias way off unless you can change the pistons.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
L, check your e-mail....

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is an adapter that lets you bolt the front calipers/rotors on the rear. Yes the bias will be off if you don't play with the MC or get a proportioning valve.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Just putting fronts on the rear will likely take you from little rear braking to none at all. I would expect, since you're increasing the piston volume but not increasing the amount of hydraulic pressure to the rear that rear bias would be about completely gone - a prop valve would make it even worse.

Front calipers on the rear are generally preceded by a front caliper change, which also changes the piston area to keep the front and rear in balance. The StopTech kit has a good writeup on this as I recall.

I'm no expert, but you might want to ask one first.

·
Registered
542 Posts
_Mark said:
Just putting fronts on the rear will likely take you from little rear braking to none at all. I would expect, since you're increasing the piston volume but not increasing the amount of hydraulic pressure to the rear that rear bias would be about completely gone - a prop valve would make it even worse.

Front calipers on the rear are generally preceded by a front caliper change, which also changes the piston area to keep the front and rear in balance. The StopTech kit has a good writeup on this as I recall.

I'm no expert, but you might want to ask one first.
From what I have seen it would be the exact opposite. Keeping the stock size MC and going to a larger caliper will give it quite a bit more power but could end up being extremely mushy or have excessive pedal travel. Possibly causing the car to spin from rear lockup under hard braking. The front calipers are quite a bit bigger physically, but have smaller pistons. I Has anyone measured the volume requirements of the front v rear to see how they stack up? If the fronts require more volume running a proportioning valve to reduce pressure will help the rear bias but you may still be stuck with a mushy pedal.

On the big brake kits, do they swap out to a larger master cylinder? If not then just adding a proportioning valve to this setup will work fine and keep the bias where it needs to be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts