Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having issues with my steering rack on the 02 gts. Need to get a different one to work with. Don't need the inner tie rods. Really want to get back on the road and wanted to see if someone might have one

·
Landscaping Professional
14,002 Posts
Don Scharf in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am leaning towards getting the dakota rack. All I need is the housing which appear to be the same. After some searching looks like the ratio and the input spline portions are different (along with tie rod ends).

·
Premium Member
19,102 Posts
I have a new one and I have a rebuilt one. PM me

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
So I'm right in the middle of doing my 2002 Dakota 4x4 front suspension...ball joints, Hubs, inner/outer tie rods, CV axles, brakes, rotors. So I did the inner ties rods yesterday and they are different than the Viper (as pointed out in another recent thread below). I think the outer are the same (dime a dozen) but the inner is different....male thread on the Dakota and female thread on the Viper.
https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/26406-Part-help-inner-tie-rod

·
Registered
578 Posts
So I'm right in the middle of doing my 2002 Dakota 4x4 front suspension...ball joints, Hubs, inner/outer tie rods, CV axles, brakes, rotors. So I did the inner ties rods yesterday and they are different than the Viper (as pointed out in another recent thread below). I think the outer are the same (dime a dozen) but the inner is different....male thread on the Dakota and female thread on the Viper.
Yeah, that was my thread over there. They are different for sure. The inner ones I got look to be very well built so things worked out well for the front. I have the rear torn apart right now so now in the seat feedback yet.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I was surprised in the DAKOTA...180K miles...that the inner tie rods were pretty much perfect. No wear or anything as compared to everything else. But I still replaced them and the boots since I had collected everything beforehand in anticipation. The hubs surprised me as they were actually grinding when I spun them with the CV axles out. Wasn't expecting that. Whew....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
93-96 2wd Dakota parts work with some cutting. Using inner/outer tie rods currently front/rear, but can't get the steering rack to seal.

·
Registered
201 Posts
About 8 years ago mine was leaking from the passenger side inner. I took the rack off and sent it to the rack doctor. They rebuilt it and sent it back within a week. It was only a couple hundred bucks. Been perfect since.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
About 8 years ago mine was leaking from the passenger side inner. I took the rack off and sent it to the rack doctor. They rebuilt it and sent it back within a week. It was only a couple hundred bucks. Been perfect since.
I should have just sent it off to begin with. It is leaking either inner cylinder seal or lower input shaft seal

·
Landscaping Professional
14,002 Posts
Inner tie rods front & rear

Moog P/N: EV252 $45
NAPA P/N: ES3104 $22

·
Registered
578 Posts
Inner tie rods front & rear

Moog P/N: EV252 $45
I got two of these when I did the front on my car. Both were identical to each other (so not thinking they were mislabeled) and they were way to long. I was going to have to cut off some of the threads and then extend the threads down.

I've seen other people post them (how I found them in the first place) and use with success so I'm not sure why my experience. I wound up ordering the bestparts ones which fit perfect (but were more $$$).

·
Landscaping Professional
14,002 Posts
The NAPA units appear to be about 2" too long.

Best Parts Online had them in stock, shipped quickly. Overall Length 10.75".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts