Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my Z06 is no longer comfortably "streetable" I'm looking to get into a Viper. There's a steel gray 2000 RT/10 with about 17,000 miles on it that I'm considering. Couple of questions:

What do you think is a fair price on this car? It has some bolt-ons (headers, high-flow cats, hid lights, etc). About 17,000 miles. I assume good interior and exterior condition (haven't seen the car in person yet).

What, if any, common problems have the 2000 rt/10s experienced? What should I look for? Any TSBs, recalls, etc?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
76 Posts
I purchased a 01 RT/10 a month ago and was in the market for about a month shopping for one. The steel gray has to be one of the best colors out there besides Sapphire Blue IMO. Very rare to find that color especially with the cognac interior. I have seen that car go for anywhere between 45-50k. I would definitely not pay over 50k personally especially since I found mine for 48k with 14,500 miles and in mint condition. There are a lot of RT/10's out there for under 50k for 01-02, you just have to be patient and look around. Best time to buy I've seen is in the fall too. This time of year it's tough especially for a convertible. I am a service manager at a Dodge dealer too and can't say that there are any real problems that I've seen out there on that Viper. Best of luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
p.s. what exactly do you mean by "comfortably streetable?" I don't see how a Viper is more streetable over a Z06...just my .02 cents

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. This guy is asking $49,000 and I think is pretty firm on the price. So it's near the high end of the range. I've seen a few steel gray rt/10s but all had very low milage (under 10,000) and were listed for low to high 50s.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Edretti said:
p.s. what exactly do you mean by "comfortably streetable?" I don't see how a Viper is more streetable over a Z06...just my .02 cents
I mean 10 point roll cage, window net, chute, etc. It's barely street legal.

Edit: actually it's not street legal. No cats.

·
Stow-N-Go, Baby!
10,462 Posts
With 17K, 49 seems a little bit high. But it's not so much that you'd be getting gouged.

Best color ever, especially for an R/T.

·
Team Crown Recruiter
11,439 Posts
45-46K would be a good price for that car.

Oh, and I agree. Steel Grey=best color ever /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
The Viper doesn't have ABS, TC, AS, HUD, XYZ, ABC, AARP, OBGYN, blah, blah, blah.

Don't bitch when you get one and find out your caged Vette is easier to drive.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love the color. I wish that the rt/10s came with the silver stripes over the gray. I think that looks really sharp. So if the steel gray color is rare, should it command a higher asking price? I know mods don't mean much in the sale of a car but how much do hid lights, headers, high-low cats run on the Vipers. I'm very familiar with pricing of various bolt-ons for Vettes but I'm clueless when it comes to Vipers.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Man, I dont get some of your comments on pricing. Some guy wants to sell his 95 and I hear "you can get 40k out of it" and yet then someone wants to buy a 2000 and you say 45k should be a good price.. I mean, c'mon, no wonder the market is all over the damn place...

Lets see Gen I for 40k or a 2000 RT for 45k DUUUUUhhhhhh

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lucifer said:
Since when is [email protected] not streetable? /images/graemlins/gay My Huffy can do that.
It's an old sig. I don't give a shit about creature comforts but my wife does. Since she's petite and the side bar is not swing-out or removable and the stock seats are gone, etc, etc, it's not comfortable for her.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree, any Viper over 10k in mileage drops off about 5-8k in avg price. I think 49k is a bit high for that mileage however you have to consider that headers, exhaust and HID. If the car is in excellent shape then it might be worth it but I have no doubts that you can find a 00 or a 01 for cheaper then that with that many miles. I know how I am, very impatient so it would be tough for me to pass that one up knowing it has those mods done because I just spent 3k in exhaust work like it was nothing!

·
Banned
26,067 Posts
Paul said:
Since my Z06 is no longer comfortably "streetable" I'm looking to get into a Viper. There's a steel gray 2000 RT/10 with about 17,000 miles on it that I'm considering. Couple of questions:

What do you think is a fair price on this car? It has some bolt-ons (headers, high-flow cats, hid lights, etc). About 17,000 miles. I assume good interior and exterior condition (haven't seen the car in person yet).

What, if any, common problems have the 2000 rt/10s experienced? What should I look for? Any TSBs, recalls, etc?

Thanks,
Paul
Paul I sold my 2000 RT/10 last year, 27K miles, $14K in upgrades I got $52K here in Cali. Two things to check on Recall 999 (bracing the front undercarriage) and check the build date. Its on the driver's side door jam, if it was built before 11/99 you may have a cylinder issue, anything after 11/99 is fine.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Team Crown Recruiter
11,439 Posts
Gerald said:
Man, I dont get some of your comments on pricing. Some guy wants to sell his 95 and I hear "you can get 40k out of it" and yet then someone wants to buy a 2000 and you say 45k should be a good price.. I mean, c'mon, no wonder the market is all over the damn place...

Lets see Gen I for 40k or a 2000 RT for 45k DUUUUUhhhhhh
Gerald, I'm not saying the car isn't worth 49K. You would have to look at it to make that decision.

It's a buyers market right now. Patience is the key. There are so many used Vipers for sale that unless you want one with no miles on it and in showroom condition you should be able to get thousands off.

A car with 17K miles on it is ripe for going in low and closing the deal.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SoCal Rebell said:
Paul said:

Thanks,
Paul
Paul I sold my 2000 RT/10 last year, 27K miles, $14K in upgrades I got $52K here in Cali. Two things to check on Recall 999 (bracing the front undercarriage) and check the build date. Its on the driver's side door jam, if it was built before 11/99 you may have a cylinder issue, anything after 11/99 is fine.

Thanks, SoCal. That's good to know.

I just ran into a guy who's selling a gray 2002 rt/10 bone stock with barely over 4000 miles. He's looking for high 50s. He's also got a mint GNX that I'd love to get my hands on.

I guess patience is key. I think Vipers hold their values much better than the Vettes but both cars have taken a spanking lately. Brand new'04 Z06s are selling as low as $43,000. I feel for the poor bastards who are asking $39,000 for '03s. The dealers are completely screwing up the used Z06 market. Favorable for the buyers, though. Sooner or later, though, I'll have a snake in the garage.

BTW, any particular sites I should be looking at for used Vipers? I have a 27' enclosed trailer so I'm willing to travel couple hundred miles for the right price.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Gerald, by all means I am not saying that we need to drive the price of the Viper down. Truth of the matter is that it is a buyers market and viper owners are selling by the hundreds thus driving the price down. Why would I want to pay high 50's when current viper owners are letting them go for mid 40's? Even you would make a smart move like that if you were in the market. You need to blame current viper owners for the bottom falling out of our cars. It was my gain to buy one for 47,900 with only 14,500 miles bone stock. Yes I was more then willing to pay around 56-58k but why would I when the market for this car has dropped so low? It's just the facts and just search the market and you will find the same info I am telling you. Just check out autotrader.com and they sell all day for that price.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts