Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting LoJack installed on my RT..Anybody else have it ?

Do you think its a waste of $$ ?

:cheers:

Jeff

·
Stow-N-Go, Baby!
10,462 Posts
I used to have it in my old one. Two schools of thought: If they steal it, you don't want it back versus I-want-to-catch-them. Being vindictive, I'd want to catch them. If they wreck it, it's totaled anyway, so to me factor #1 is moot. I say do it if you have $700 to burn.

·
Registered
159 Posts
How hard is it to steal a Viper w/o using a flatbed? Is it an easily stolen car? My older car had a chipped key, and was fairly safe. Should I be paranoid regarding having it stolen from parking garages and the like?

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
Who really steals vipers? I know it happens to confrontational, but honestly, how many really are out there for a joy ride. Doesnt ahve much of a used part market, and its pretty easy to get caught.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have it on my car, but the chances of it ever getting stolen are almost nil. If someone steals my car, may the Lord be with them, because they will be in for the ride of their life. I almost forgot I had LoJack until you mentioned it.

Bottom line is that it's piece of mind, but I'm sure there are better solutions out there (i.e., tracking via the Internet).

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Smokin said:
Who really steals vipers? I know it happens to confrontational, but honestly, how many really are out there for a joy ride. Doesnt ahve much of a used part market, and its pretty easy to get caught.
Good Point Jason !

J

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
My insurance company (and all the others) would not insure it without one. /images/graemlins/sad

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I have lojack but not sure if it does any good with the other alarm and locked in the garage. On the other hand I have tracking devises on my company vans and twice we were able to direct the police to the exact location within 30 min. We recovered the stolen vans before anything was taken other than the van.
You live in San Diego, 15 min. from the border and even though a Viper would be out of place in Mexico, why not.

rohn

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I got a lojack on my viper. It reduced my insurance somewhat but thats about it.

I think i got a deal on it, i payed like 400-500 or so for it installed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Who wants the car back after some goons beat it up and who knows what else? They can have it if they steal it, I never want to see it again, just give me the check from the insurance company.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lojack isn't that great.

Contrarary to popular belief, it does NOT provide GPS-like tracking ability for your car if stolen- only a directional beacon. Second, YOU yourself are not allowed to track it; only the police can. Third, if the theives get the car into an underground garage, or building with thick enough cement walls, the signal can't get out, and the device is rendered worthless.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Jeff - You live so close to Mexico, they can be across the border in 30 minutes tops anyhow. Does Lo Jack even have any tracking abilities in Mexico?

A waste of money in my opinion.

I agree, if someone steals my car, ... I do not want it back. Give me my insurance check so I can find another one!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good point Thor..I don't think the Lo Jack tracking system works in Mexico.

San Diego is a prime target for stolen vehicles for this exact reason.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Lojack has a new thing called Early Warning. If you car moves more than 10 feet without a special key fob being in the car, they call you at up to five phone numbers. That would ensure that you got the cops on it before the car left town.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
If it's stolen...damn! I'd never want it back! Better to argue for the replacement value than the cost of repair and what was actually damaged. Rather put the $ towards an extended warranty. But that's just me. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Stow-N-Go, Baby!
10,462 Posts
But what about the notion of punishment. Catching them and watching them go through the machine? That's worth the money. And--if they wreck it during the chase, they're probably gonna total it anyway.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Put an old powerful airbag in the seat, wire it so if there is pressure on the seat and the alarm goes off you have 7 seconds to turn it off, If it not turned off then they get tossed out or pushed through the roof, wont be hard finding the person, Officer just look for the person that is 3 ft tall.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Yellow Fever said:
Might be cheaper and more effective I just leave Bubba in the Passenger seat /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif
Great idea!! I remember a thread on the .org site a couple of years ago about people fucking with you just because you were driving a Viper. This one guy told a great story about some guy messing with him (swerving in and out of his lane or something like that).

When they came to a stoplight, the idiot who was harassing him jumped out of his car and ran up to his window. He was in for a big surprise because the Viper owner had his buddy in the passenger seat--a VERY protective Rottweiler. I remember him saying that the dog went nuts and he was more than happy to pay to have the seats repaired where the dogs claws had ripped them just to see the look on the asshole's face.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GaryA said:
Yellow Fever said:
Might be cheaper and more effective I just leave Bubba in the Passenger seat /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif
Great idea!! I remember a thread on the .org site a couple of years ago about people fucking with you just because you were driving a Viper. This one guy told a great story about some guy messing with him (swerving in and out of his lane or something like that).

When they came to a stoplight, the idiot who was harassing him jumped out of his car and ran up to his window. He was in for a big surprise because the Viper owner had his buddy in the passenger seat--a VERY protective Rottweiler. I remember him saying that the dog went nuts and he was more than happy to pay to have the seats repaired where the dogs claws had ripped them just to see the look on the asshole's face.
Now that would have been a Great Kodak moment /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts