Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this question is for anyone with a modified viper.

LIFTERS; is there ANY reason to put in aftermarket lifters on a heads/cam setup? also, will putting in aftermarket lifters give a gain of 20-30HP?

regarding sealed power lifters; anyone know if this brand is quality or do they/have they had problems??

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
My dad is a Sealed Power dealer and I used to get everything from him when I was rebuilding small blocks, so it did not even dawn on me that they would have Viper stuff, but hell I could get a set of pistons for my car I am sure and put them in.............

Back on topic - I had some lifters put in when my heads/cam was done and I believe they don't leakdown as fast(can't recall the correct term), but supposedly they are good for around 5 rwhp.

So I wouldn't do it for the power, but for the extra piece of mine.

John

ps - if you get a Sealed Power part # I could always get you some at cost if you need them. I don't know what brand I have or most use.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thnx john. my main unanswered is are lifters a required or recommended upgrade for a heads/cam upgrade package. if so, why?

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
they were not required for my setup. It was just an option if I wanted them.

So they would be more of a recommendation than anything, but for a couple hundred bucks I would certainly put them in.

·
RIP - Gone But Not Forgotten
15,286 Posts
V10 MOJO said:
thnx john. my main unanswered is are lifters a required or recommended upgrade for a heads/cam upgrade package. if so, why?
When changing a cam always install new lifters with it. If reusing a cam make sure that each lifter is installed back so it runs on the exact lobe it was on before removal.

Lifters and cams get a wear pattern in them and you want to keep each lobe/lifter together as a set.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
Stock lifters are known to be a little soft.

If going to heads and cam - yes they should not only be replaced anyway - but UPGRADED.

Jason Heffner I know has better grade lifters which will allow more top end... give him a call at 410 766 2800 :thumb:

·
Registered
581 Posts
It doesn't make sense not to spend a comparatively small amount of money for some non-bleed downs while you've got everything apart. I got mine from Dan Cragin for around $250 if memory serves. Oddly enough, they are Mopars and I think they come on one of the Ram trucks. :screwy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.