Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've discussed this in the past, but I really want to learn how to drive and start racing.

I was thinking about starting in the Improved Touring class of SCCA racing. I am close to Road Atlanta, and could go to other regional events in the south. Figured I would find some good schools to attend this year and perhaps start racing a small car next year. The IT class has some good, cost-effective race cars to "get yer feet wet" so to speak. Have to learn to crawl before I can walk (viper).

Any recomendations on schools? Anyone race in the IT leagues?

MM

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Do some HPDE (high perf driving events) first. These will teach you to drive. Then think about learning to race. The two are quite different actually.

Its like you wouldn't start signing up for marathons if you wanted to start running.

A really competitive, low cost possibility would be Spec Miata. People might laugh but when you only have 95HP you gotta drive the balls off the car. Its also real cheap to fix. You can get a completely built SM ready to go for $15K. I'd do it if I actually had any time.

Also, SM is expected to move up to a national SCCA class next year or so I believe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have several friends who race Z28s in the ITS and ITE classes - I suspect the rules vary from region to region, but these classes are fairly wide open with ITE being for 6.0 liters or more, or supercharged cars. There are lot's of modded Mustangs, Corvettesm Porsche 964s and 944 turbos running as well. ITS/ITE are not as inexpensive as Spec Miata, but allow for a wider range of cars and mods.

I run my Z28 (I suppose I could run my Viper, but I'm not prepared to do that dollars wise) in a ton of track days and have recenly done a SOLO I (full course time trials) which requires a roll bar, racing suit, etc. SOLO I is great for me because I can drive as hard as I want without needing the psychic energy necessary for real racing. The laps times in SOLO I are as fast as in the corresponding race classes - it's just more mellow. I can drive my car too and from the track w/o the expense of a tow vehicle and trailer

Lot's of guys run SOLO I before moving into real racing.

Jim

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
Before my car was stolen. I ran a Neon ACR. I loved it! I miss it. But I will not have much time for racing anymore. The spec Mita is a fun car too. I've driven a few of them. Lots of cars to pick from...but I say don't rule out the neon. It's a great car to beat the pants off of. I ran my for 2 years...and drove it every day! When it was stolen I had 77kmi on it! The only real problem I had with the car was dash rattles, and front motor mounts.

Goto as many schools as you can. You will learn alot. And it's tons of fun. You can always find an exsperianced racer at the AutoX evens, make a buddy, and they'll take you under their wing and keep teaching you. Racing is a wonderful thing...such male bonding. :smile:

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
What Mark said. Schools are ok at first but soon you just need the track time. Join some open track clubs and run dozens of events and as many tracks as possible before actually racing.

·
Banned
26,067 Posts
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
What Mark said. Schools are ok at first but soon you just need the track time. Join some open track clubs and run dozens of events and as many tracks as possible before actually racing.

Pretty much what baldy said, first the key is seat time, seat time, seat time! A Miata is fine but no car has the dynamics of a Viper, try to go to a Viperdays event, take rides so you can see the dynamics of the car from someone who knows, then get a Viper instructor and apply it to your car. I learned in my Viper and it was fun :nod:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
SoCal Rebell said:
no car has the dynamics of a Viper, try to go to a Viperdays event, take rides so you can see the dynamics of the car from someone who knows,
This can't be stressed enough. I remember the first on-track ride I took in a Viper. I was fresh out of the Panoz racing school, and in spite of having spent most of three days in a race car, I was flat-out floored by what the Viper could do.

The way it can take corners seems positively supernatural.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts