Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Senior Slacker
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, looks EXACTLY like one! :rolleyes:

[image]http://kansascityvca.com/srt/silvercool.jpg[/image]

No, the intent wasn't to stir up shit, but rather to point out that the car really does have some good lines to it, as accented by the inserts. Some may not care for them, but I think it looks pretty awesome myself!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
i am in the minority, when i say, i have always liked the SRT. It justs needs a few things in my opinion. I love the rocket sled look of it.

1. to be lowered.
2. agressive 3 peice wheels (HRE 546's)
3. agressive exhaust
4. and most importantly , for the car to have a fixed roof,

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Tito,

I am with you my friend..you are dead on with your points. And, thanks Chris...that is a great pic :thumb:...makes me wish I would have gotten silver.

Clark

·
Landscaping Professional
14,157 Posts
I think my opinions on the subject are well known. The photo above highlights the worst styling feature of the new body style. /images/graemlins/puke.gif

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
I don't know what the deal is with the black paint coming out of the opening, but heres what I think a big problem with the SRT is: I hate that smooth bar in the front of the car - it looks weird. The Gen I/II's don't have that cross-bar flush with the front of the car, and it takes a lot of the aggressivness. And Dean, I don't know if the Gen III could have smoothed out the angle into a curve - the car's inherently more angular, but I agree it doesn't look too cohesive.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The accented by the inserts really makes it look a whole lot better.

But the guy driving it has to wear a helmet to keep from getting a concussion while driving it by being hit in the forehead by a flying insect - and I bet he's not 6'5" tall like me. I'm not going to wear a mouth guard to protect my teeth when I drive and wear a helmet.

I'm keeping what I got.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,157 Posts
Clint Sever said:
And Dean, I don't know if the Gen III could have smoothed out the angle into a curve -
VM did a styling development story a little over a year ago. They showed styling exercises of no less than 10 different side air extractor variations. Many of them were smooth and rounded.

the car's inherently more angular, but I agree it doesn't look too cohesive.
I guess it takes someone with a decidedly "slanted view" of the car to have the gall to style ANYTHING ANGULAR on a car whose central theme is: a snake. Show me any natural snake, anywhere in the world, that has an angular feature. I fuckin' dare you.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Is that black paint or the cats/sills just frying up the door panels?

jk...nice contrasted bit there. Not my cup o' sauce but accents what they have to work with.

The SRT is a'growin on me...but I just dig the black ones right now. And the slammed red one was kinda cool too... ;)

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
Trey: Microsoft Paint ;)

GTS Dean said:
Clint Sever said:
And Dean, I don't know if the Gen III could have smoothed out the angle into a curve -
VM did a styling development story a little over a year ago. They showed styling exercises of no less than 10 different side air extractor variations. Many of them were smooth and rounded.

the car's inherently more angular, but I agree it doesn't look too cohesive.
I guess it takes someone with a decidedly "slanted view" of the car to have the gall to style ANYTHING ANGULAR on a car whose central theme is: a snake. Show me any natural snake, anywhere in the world, that has an angular feature. I fuckin' dare you.
Dean, I'm with you 100% - the angles on the car (esp the fender peaks from the drivers seat) SUCK BIG TIME. PVO, whoever could have done a MUCH better job with the car, considering it's heritage and predecessor. I was just making the point that given the way the car is styled, I think that he couldn't have done too much with the shape of that extractor. To me, it adds some motion to the car, but the Gen I/II has so much more sex appeal.

I would love to see those other pics tho, as I know one of your main complaints with the SRT is that extractor.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I really want to like the SRT, I mean I really do. I would like nothing more than to be asking all my friends "Have you seen teh new vipres?!?!?! It looks AWESOME!!" But no matter how hard I try, the SRT just does NOT do half of what the GTS does for me, sorry, it just doesnt.

Chris, you have every right to like the looks of your car. Shit, I'm couldnt be any happier that you are 100% satisfied with your car, but that doesn't meant I dont' have the right to my opinion. And IMO, I think the GTS looks WAY better than the SRT. Those pictures still dont change my mind as much as I wish they would.

The only thing I have left to say I must steal from my good friend Trey, BRING ON THE COUPE!!!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Well, I think that the black on the "gills" really help out the car's lines a lot. What the SRT lacks is a look of muscle with just teh right hint of sexy curves. It is too slap sided, like the last gen camaro. Flat shapes have no sex in them. We like big, round, firm things. Look at the sex kitten pin ups today, or any time as long as I can remember, they have roundness to accentuate them. We like that. Dodge forgot that.

I remember my Dad, who is a photographer, told me when he was teaching me how to bring out interest in a subject. He told me that everything has a face. Photograph everything as if it had a mood, a feeling, something to say. Take this one step further and apply it to the car's design. It's a super butch ***** right now. It may be able to run the mile in 4 minutes flat and bench 400 lbs., but it also looks like a brick shithouse, cool for a HUMMER, not for a sports car. This car needs some curves.

I adjusted the nose a bit like Clint suggested. I also added a little bit of buldge in the SRTs hips (rear fenders). To avoid a fat feeling (remember, curves are good but fatties are not sexy) I brought in the waist (right before the rear fenders towards the trailing edge of the door) a bit. The change is subtle but one that just gives a bit of a different feeling to the car. It should also be more pronounced in 3D than in a photograph. Now what needs to be done is a little bit of work on the hood. I'm tired and I've worked too damn much recently to toil over this tonight but perhaps I will work on the hood and front fenders later if I get time next week. The rear overhang should also be brought in, and the nose as well to balance it out. Too much overhang will make the car look too large. No porkers allowed. If anyone has a 3D model, prefferably in NURBS that is readable by MAYA, I'll show you what the car shold really have looked like.

Attachments

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
Mak - looks great!! Your photoshop skills are WAAAAAY better then mine ;).. I love that nose in your pic!

·
Team Crown Recruiter
11,439 Posts
I like the looks of the SRT myself. On it's own, I think it's an awesome car, and I hope to add one to my garage one day. I just think when you compare it to Gen's I and II, it becomes a lot less attractive by comparison. Point in case:

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/627MVC-559S-med.JPG[/image]

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Chris,
They are nice looking cars.. 99% of the people wouldn't disagree.. They just don't grab the visceral side of you though like the Gen I, GenII's.. I think the potential is there.. hear me out, though you may hate the analogy.. If you look at the comp coupe compared to the srt10, you notice that the main differences are in front and rear fascias, along with some ground affects.. I think if those components were used on the srt10 then you would have a bad ass looking car instead of just a "nice" looking car. My analogy is to the gen III, Gen IV camaros.. if you look at them right after production, they are ugly as hell (this can be argued that they are still ugly as hell, but let me finish). However as the years progress, they use new side effects, new front and rear fascias and new hoods that by the end of the production runs for that generation, the car looks like quite the different beast. I can't help but wonder if DC is following the same steps in producing a milder looking viper that they can enhance with more aggressive front and rear fascias over the years, thus keep promoting the urge for people to purchase new vipers as the style remains the same, but the car looks better and better due to the mainly-exterior updates.

·
Senior Slacker
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, you will note in every single post I have EVER made regarding the SRT vs. Gen I/II that I have ALWAYS stated that the GTS is a better looking car. I think the SRT is beautiful, but the GTS is downright gorgeous. As has been correctly pointed out, the curves of the GTS are really what sets it apart from everything else out there. Never debated that and never will.

Could the SRT have been better designed? In terms of looks, absolutely. Did I have a say in it? No. Is the SRT a better built car? I don't think anyone will argue that point. So the question becomes whether you buy a car based more on looks or based on other factors. Looks are generally 60% of my buying decision, but in this case I gave up my GTS for the SRT based on a very persuasive 40% - moderate increase in power, better handling, better braking, better ergonomics, and a better build. I loved my GTS, but it was not a quality built car. So far the SRT has been rock solid in every respect.

Of course, assuming they come out with a coupe and I have the money for it (doubtful at this point), then I will most likely make the switch.

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
Y2K3SRT said:
Well, you will note in every single post I have EVER made regarding the SRT vs. Gen I/II that I have ALWAYS stated that the GTS is a better looking car. I think the SRT is beautiful, but the GTS is downright gorgeous. As has been correctly pointed out, the curves of the GTS are really what sets it apart from everything else out there. Never debated that and never will.

Could the SRT have been better designed? In terms of looks, absolutely. Did I have a say in it? No. Is the SRT a better built car? I don't think anyone will argue that point. So the question becomes whether you buy a car based more on looks or based on other factors. Looks are generally 60% of my buying decision, but in this case I gave up my GTS for the SRT based on a very persuasive 40% - moderate increase in power, better handling, better braking, better ergonomics, and a better build. I loved my GTS, but it was not a quality built car. So far the SRT has been rock solid in every respect.

Of course, assuming they come out with a coupe and I have the money for it (doubtful at this point), then I will most likely make the switch.

Chris, if you think that the GTS is such a beautiful car, why did you sell yours to get the SRT? Im not trying to be an ass or flame, just an honest question. Dont get me wrong, the SRT is NOT an ugly car and pictures do NO justice for the car at all. You really have to admire the car in person to get the full effect, BUT I still wouldnt pick one over a GEN I-II.

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
weeztones said:
I really want to like the SRT, I mean I really do. I would like nothing more than to be asking all my friends "Have you seen teh new vipres?!?!?! It looks AWESOME!!" But no matter how hard I try, the SRT just does NOT do half of what the GTS does for me, sorry, it just doesnt.

Chris, you have every right to like the looks of your car. Shit, I'm couldnt be any happier that you are 100% satisfied with your car, but that doesn't meant I dont' have the right to my opinion. And IMO, I think the GTS looks WAY better than the SRT. Those pictures still dont change my mind as much as I wish they would.

The only thing I have left to say I must steal from my good friend Trey, BRING ON THE COUPE!!!
[image]http://www.bullittzero.com/TRS3/images/smilies/nana.gif[/image] [image]http://www.bullittzero.com/TRS3/images/smilies/nana.gif[/image]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts