Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, if given an opportunity to add either FOntana, Ca. or Las Vegas, NV. as a city to race in the V10- Nationals, which would you most likely attend?

Las Vegas would be great for racing and then having a blast at night (it's Vegas!) Done late in the year, the temps would be good. However, it is several thousand feet up in elevation.

Fontana is a good track here in southern California, and the elevation is great. It's no Las Vegas though in terms of entertainment afterwards, especially for those that drive a distance to get here. I would certainly be up for hosting a big party at my place afterwards, here in San Diego -- there's parking for at least 50 cars out in front :)

Manny

·
Registered
806 Posts
You have to talk to mr boggs. I tried but I don't think it will happen this year, maybe next. I can do any leg work necessary to make an event happen.

The biggest problem is the safety requirements of the race facility. LVMS is good until you get to 150mph then they get a little nervous. I don't think we would have anyone with that problem in vegas but you never know. The elevation kills the MPH. Also, I don't think they would let you run in the 9's with absolutely no safety equipment installed, you would probably have to have at least a role bar. Eventually the v10 nationals will have to implement some safety requirements but probably not until the series gets off the ground.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright Utah, you and I need to spearhead this thing along with Boggs, and get a Vegas event going. Las Vegas won't be a world record breaking location, but it will be fun to pit the cars against each other, and I can't think of any place more fun in the USA than to have it there.

So what's it take to get this organized?

Manny

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Manny

Just find out the track info and get the local clubs to step up like Chris Marshall did for Kansas. Local support is a must!!!

Vegas would be cool and we could do this like in Jan or Feb first event for next year!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
see Manny there you go.
possibilities are where ever someone like you will step up and lend a hand. Many of the Viper owners are interested and this being new I feel that David is open to different directions to insure success and longevity of the race series.
What is most needed is support from all owners and areas.

rohn

·
Registered
806 Posts
I am ready to help. The vegas track is a bit expensive but definitley doable with enough cars. There is no way that this could be a two day event because of the expense, it would have to be one day. This track can handle 1000 race cars. It is a world class facility. I do think records could be broken with the right weather conditions. The only problem is the traction. There would be cars pulling wheelies that have never do so before. I have never been to a better prepped track.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
utahviper said:
I am ready to help. The vegas track is a bit expensive but definitley doable with enough cars. There is no way that this could be a two day event because of the expense, it would have to be one day. This track can handle 1000 race cars. It is a world class facility. I do think records could be broken with the right weather conditions. The only problem is the traction. There would be cars pulling wheelies that have never do so before. I have never been to a better prepped track.
OK, let's focus on doing Las Vegas then. Utah, I'll do whatever I can to help you. You've been there before, so lead the way, brotha.

David, why not October for Las Vegas?

Manny

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
too close to VOI to make it work!

finals will be in december in Texas or FLorida.

too far to stack on top. we need to give plenty of time for people to make the trip! this could be a highlighted event! lets take our time and do it right!

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VOI is in Sept., so why not Oct, or November? Jan or Feb in Vegas is miserably cold, and windy. I'd still do it, but would prefer an Oct or Nov date if we can squeeze it in. If the 2004 schedule is locked though, then that is that.

-M

·
Registered
806 Posts
Manny

The october/november time frame may not be available. We need to book with them at least 6 months in advance unless we do it during the week. They get booked very early so we probably wouldn't be able to do it until early next year.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright Todd, I leave it to you to find the available dates. I will certainly do what I can to get local support from racers. I personally know about 10 guys locally that would go.

Manny

·
Registered
806 Posts
I am going to post this on the morg and here:

I called the LVMS and talked to craig who is in charge of drag strip scheduling. He said that there are times available in october and november for an entire track rental. The only problem is cost. $10,000 per day plus $140 per hour for safety/emergency. YOu are looking at close to $11,500 per day. $6,000 on the weekdays plus the $140 per hour. I was thinking of possible piggy backing one of the other events which would be a cost per car of $35-70 and we could still run the event but we wouldn't have the track to ourselves. I don't know how this would work but I know that the LVMS can run 1000 race cars without any problems.

Chris, who is the boss there, is supposed to look into the possibilty of running a piggy back event. They are supposed to call me back. I will let you know when they do. I told them that we would have around 50 cars there. I don't think anymore is possible but only time will tell. I think an event in February or beginning of march would possibly be more feasible than this year given the schedule of the v10 nationals. ALso, if there was tv coverage of some short then we could possible negotiate a better price. One other thing, if we could get some more vendors to pony up then we could offset the costs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Todd - it would be nice to meet up with you again.
Manny - you'd want Todd to take you for a spin in your car... :thumb:

If Fontana is still an option, it will cost about $5K to rent the track for a day (Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm). They only require at least a 2 week notice. Their weekend schedule is always booked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts