Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am new to this whole Viper thing and want to know about what kind of #s I can expect the car to put down stock, also what kind of mod path should I take to keep a reliable but powerful daily driver.

I see a few people running the NX twin nozzle kit spraying 150-250, I also heard that 97 was the last year of forged pistons and more aggressive cams, are the rods forged too?

What does forced induction cost to run on these? I really liked the blower whine on my cobra.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Stock is stock. Expect 11.7-12.0 stock.

S/C is a great way to go although you will get lots of TT advise as well. That is for you to decide. Being biased but also proven to, I would recommend calling Doug Levin (DLM) for your FI needs. Expect 9-10 second quarters depending on commitment.

99 is last year of forged pistons. You can expect similar 9-10 second times with BTR's nitrous packages.

Enjoy.

Chad

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, DLM told me that his kits sell for around 7k which incudes a additional fuel pump, injectors and all the other goodies that I would need.

That sounds like a great way to go for sure if I don't do spray.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Why go spray? Talk about a pain in the ass getting bottles refilled all the time.

Go for an S/C if you have to save for a bit. In the meantime toss some 3:54 gears in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about other mods.

Throttle Body, are people even changing this?

Exhaust: I am def going to swap that out first, I want a real good sound and I like my cars loud. If you can hear me coming 3 miles away that would be great /images/graemlins/smiles

Nitrous: Dry? Wet? NX? NOS? TNT? I have only looked at the NX kit.

Drivetrain: How much can I put the stock rearend through? Tranny? Etc. What will break first?

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Nitrous, talk to BTR Tom.

S/C, talk to DLM. Good luck on the 7k as in this world, you get what you pay for.

Drivetrain, the tranny and rearend seem great but halfshafts and loops are a good idea from what I've seen.

Enjoy.

Chad

·
Registered
729 Posts
You can't beat nitrous for bang for the buck, it takes 5 minutes to fill and install the bottle. It takes the same time to tighten the belt on the supercharger. I'm starting with nos and maybe I will do the supercharger later.

·
You mean Shenanigans
4,979 Posts
Term,

Actually '99 was the last year for forged pistons. I believe all years still kept forged crank and rods.

There are several guys on the board running various nitrous configurations. Hopefully they will chime in as I know nothing about it.

Exhuast upgrades such as headers, hight flow/no cats, and cat-back exhaust pay huge dividends. I would look for headers from Belanger, TNT, or possibly Hennesy's new group buy deal. For cat-backs take you pick - Corsa, Borla, Belanger.

I have Edelbrock headers, no cats, and Borla and it screams. It's quite loud and I love it.

Other typical first mods would be smooth intake tubes and K&N filters. Throttle bodies aren't really an issue until you run large 600+ RWHP, imho. You also lose some throttle repsonce and I've heard it can exaserbate the surging that is already seen in low-speed parking lot type driving.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I was in a similar boat not too long ago.

My only mods are:

belanger headers/no cats/belanger exhaust
tubes/filters

[email protected] on E.T. Streets.

I added a "highpower" NOS kit and it should run low 10's high 9's when I get the clutch situation under control. Not sure yet.

Pretty simple combination.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I was not that far away about 6 or 7 months ago. Here is what I found out after much research and contemplating. I hope this helps.

Exhaust:
Borlas = loud (especially if you are thinking about headers, S/C. etc.)

Corsas = not so loud (once you put all the above goodies)

I went with Corsas

Also, keep in mind that even tho the Viper is a V10, it will not sound as good (IMHO) as your V8, because of the firing sequence.

You definately need Highflow cats to go with your exhaust, I do recommend the Roe or Random Techs.

Also, I know DLM has great S/C kits, but try calling Sean Roe at Roe Racing, he has a different type of S/C (Twin Screw) that is available for a little over 7k.

I have my Roe S/C kit coming within a month. I have a gen 1 so my options are a lot more limited than yours, but I think the Roe S/Cs have one of the best TQ curves out there. Especially with UtahVipers' coming soon set-up it will allow the S/C to run at high boost.

BTW, did I tell you that I also have a Vortec S/C mustang with a cog belt set-up. I know what you mean about the sound.

Good luck and I hope my post helped.
Have fun with your new Viper... /images/graemlins/thumbs2

Also, about your question on the TBs...TBs are not as needed on a Viper as it was on a Mustang. It gets kinda complicated, I got my answer from Torquemonster (smart as heck, I hope he chimes in). Basically the CFM has to be configured and it also means that you might need to get new heads, etc...

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
KingViper said:
You definately need Highflow cats to go with your exhaust, I do recommend the Roe or Random Techs.
KingViper - Are you making a statement saying to upgrade from "stock" cats, or advising that one needs cats versus going "cat-delete"? No flame here, as I am just trying to understand if there is something unknown to me since I am currently contemplating an exhaust change myself. Thanx. /images/graemlins/smiles

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
THOR said:
KingViper said:
KingViper - Are you making a statement saying to upgrade from "stock" cats, or advising that one needs cats versus going "cat-delete"? No flame here, as I am just trying to understand if there is something unknown to me since I am currently contemplating an exhaust change myself. Thanx. /images/graemlins/smiles
Thor:
Because Term wants people to hear his car from 3 miles away, I would recommend no cats (you get more power too). But if you don't want it very loud I would recommend upgrading current cats. When I mean loud, my friend has no cats on his S/C Viper and man I tell you it is loud.

Peace

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thor:
Because Term wants people to hear his car from 3 miles away, I would recommend no cats (you get more power too). But if you don't want it very loud I would recommend upgrading current cats. When I mean loud, my friend has no cats on his S/C Viper and man I tell you it is loud.

Peace
Yo put some b&b headers and b&b cat back sound awsome .Thats what i have on my 97 gts .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts