Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here they are. They came out great.

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/503/151301_acr_bc_sun.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/503/151301_acr_bc_sun_2.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/503/151301_acr_bc_sun_3.jpg[/image]

here is a stock photo...

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/151301_acr_side_2.jpg[/image]

ROB

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Niiiiice. I love black wheels and they look really kick ass on your car.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
looks nice wiseguy. Much better looking that it's black chrome, rather than just black.

·
Banned Since 2003
17,762 Posts
oh sure...now you post this here after is been on the VCA for days! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Very nice by the way. :nod:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Toby said:
oh sure...now you post this here after is been on the VCA for days! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Very nice by the way. :nod:
I was out of town for a few days did not have time to post the pics here before I left.

Thanks, it really sets the car off.

ROB

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey , they do look great, but I am curious, is it just the lighting, or does it look like the rear isnt fully powerder coated ? towards the inside of the wheel hub. I am curious if any other more visable areas are like this. I am really asking, as I think it looks great, and already have cromed ACR rims, and I might send them off for this powder coating. Thanks.

Jon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just the way the light shines on the wheel is shows that color.

I had to get the wheels chromed (800) and the powdercoat was (320).

ROB

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
I want to do the wheels on my black acr the same way, except no chrome, just black powder coated centers.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Beautiful combo!

Will someone please explain the benefits of chrome vs. powder coat? CAN you "chrome" in any color (other than black)?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
CitySnake said:
Beautiful combo!

Will someone please explain the benefits of chrome vs. powder coat? CAN you "chrome" in any color (other than black)?
Powder coating is a type of paint used mostly on items that need a durable and uniform finish. Things like ATV frames, BBQ grills, etc are powder coated. The way it works is the pigment and resin are electro statically charged and the item to be sprayed is grounded. As the item is coated, the two charges keep the coating adhered evenly. Once sprayed, the item is baked so that the pigment and resin melt and bond permanently to the surface. The finished product is a uniform durable coating.

In this reference, "Black Chrome" is made by first polishing the item to be sprayed and then coating it with a translucent pigment. This allows the coating to keep the polished look, or "chrome". The 30th Trans Am had blue chrome rims and I've seen red chrome rims for Cobras. I'd imagine that as long as a translucent version of the color you want is available, then you could have it "chromed".

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Lucifer said:
CitySnake said:
Beautiful combo!

Powder coating is a type of paint used mostly on items that need a durable and uniform finish. Things like ATV frames, BBQ grills, etc are powder coated. The way it works is the pigment and resin are electro statically charged and the item to be sprayed is grounded. As the item is coated, the two charges keep the coating adhered evenly. Once sprayed, the item is baked so that the pigment and resin melt and bond permanently to the surface. The finished product is a uniform durable coating.

In this reference, "Black Chrome" is made by first polishing the item to be sprayed and then coating it with a translucent pigment. This allows the coating to keep the polished look, or "chrome". The 30th Trans Am had blue chrome rims and I've seen red chrome rims for Cobras. I'd imagine that as long as a translucent version of the color you want is available, then you could have it "chromed".
Thanks for that explaination!

So, which is the preferred method if you want sapphire blue wheels?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had to get the wheels chromed first. I took them to a local guy, I kick myself for not sending them to Calichrome, they came out OK. I then had to send them to East Coast Powder Coat where they did the black chrome process. These guys ARE GREAT!!! www.eastcoastpowdercoat.com the owner is Scott and he can powder coat almost anything and any color. The chrome cost $800 and the powder coat was $320.

I hope this helps.
ROB

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
CitySnake said:
Thanks for that explaination!

So, which is the preferred method if you want sapphire blue wheels?
Not a problem, glad to help.

Truthfully, you should contact a few powder coaters and see how they would like it done. I know the actual process only because I've used it on a number of our SEMA projects. :nod:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts