Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some pics of the Jesels installed if anyone is interested in seeing how they look. These rockers are extremely nice in quality.
[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/726jesel_1-med.JPG[/image]

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/726jesel_3-med.JPG[/image]

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/726jesel_2-med.JPG[/image]

· Registered
12,067 Posts
Thank you!! I for one will be saving this page pics and all as this is one of the mods I plan to make.

Appreciatively,

Jay K.

· Banned
2,657 Posts
How hard are the rocker arms to install. My viper is the 1st pushrod engine I've ever owned. I assume they come with instructions. Did you finnish it yet. How long did it take?

· Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tanked said:
How hard are the rocker arms to install. My viper is the 1st pushrod engine I've ever owned. I assume they come with instructions. Did you finnish it yet. How long did it take?
The installation is very easy. Its adjusting the valve lash that is important. Its not hard, as long as you understand what is going on.
What confused me is any other hydraulic lifter engine I worked you only adjusted to zeroe lash. On the viper engine you actually preload the lifter once you find zero lash, making sure all the pushrods are preloaded the same amount of turns based on zero lash. Some of my pushrods it took 1 turn from the seated position to find zero lash, and some it only took 1/2 turn. See my other post on valve chatter.
I think it took me and a friend about 4 hours for everything. And we worked slow!
Jesel's website has the instructions available in pdf.

· Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tobes said:
That engine looks clean for not changing the oil but a few times in the first 10,000 miles. :leaving:
Twice since I owned it. :nod:

That would be 5 times in 11,500 miles.

· Registered
7,282 Posts
Good choice Simms :thumb:

T & D are great rockers, but Jesel is the brand for top shelf NHRA and IHRA racing, not to mention various road racing and speedway motorports.

If their quality is what the top engine builders prefer over all others - chances are they'll be right on for a great street machine/road warrior too.

I specified Jesel on the engine combo that won national back to back records for ET and mph in NZ - and they worked great and never failed - even at 6.6 seconds/212mph in Pro Mod. Hope you get a great run out of yours.

· Banned
2,657 Posts
Simms:

When I do the rockers, I'll have to take my time to do it right. I always wondered why they make 1.7 rockers for push-rod engines. But they don't make other ratio(s) for DOHC engines. Granted they are called (cam followers) But do the same job. I'm sure there is a reason, I just don't know it.

· Banned Since 2003
16,388 Posts
Simms said:
Tobes said:
That engine looks clean for not changing the oil but a few times in the first 10,000 miles. :leaving:

/images/graemlins/toothy Just foolin.

On a serious note...From what I remember, I changed the oil two times and I found records from the previous owner (at the dealer) and the oil was changed 3-4 times.

The car is really shaping up nice! :thumb:

· Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tobes said:
Simms said:
Tobes said:

/images/graemlins/toothy Just foolin.

On a serious note...From what I remember, I changed the oil two times and I found records from the previous owner (at the dealer) and the oil was changed 3-4 times.

The car is really shaping up nice! :thumb:
Thanks Tobe. I know you were just bustin balls. /images/graemlins/toothy

So far I haven't found anything that shows the car wasn't taken care of. Everything looks great. I even checked the crank pulley for the 250 ft-lb and it was tight. So the guy that owned it before you must have taken care of it too. There wasn't even dirt or road debris in the side sills when I did the exhaust.

It was a little painful cutting the holes in the bulck head for the 6 point harnesses though! But it came out real clean. :thumb:

· Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Torquemonster said:
Good choice Simms :thumb:

T & D are great rockers, but Jesel is the brand for top shelf NHRA and IHRA racing, not to mention various road racing and speedway motorports.

If their quality is what the top engine builders prefer over all others - chances are they'll be right on for a great street machine/road warrior too.

I specified Jesel on the engine combo that won national back to back records for ET and mph in NZ - and they worked great and never failed - even at 6.6 seconds/212mph in Pro Mod. Hope you get a great run out of yours.
Thanks, that is exactly why I chose them.

· Registered
530 Posts
Tanked said:
Simms:

When I do the rockers, I'll have to take my time to do it right. I always wondered why they make 1.7 rockers for push-rod engines. But they don't make other ratio(s) for DOHC engines. Granted they are called (cam followers) But do the same job. I'm sure there is a reason, I just don't know it.
Reason is when they raise the ratio it's by moving the pushrod location. On a dohc motor you would have to move the cam and roller location to get the same effect.

· Registered
530 Posts
Simms said:
Tanked said:
The installation is very easy. Its adjusting the valve lash that is important. Its not hard, as long as you understand what is going on.
What confused me is any other hydraulic lifter engine I worked you only adjusted to zeroe lash. On the viper engine you actually preload the lifter once you find zero lash, making sure all the pushrods are preloaded the same amount of turns based on zero lash. Some of my pushrods it took 1 turn from the seated position to find zero lash, and some it only took 1/2 turn. See my other post on valve chatter.
I think it took me and a friend about 4 hours for everything. And we worked slow!
They should all take the same number of turns to preload the lifters. My truck is the same way, you take them to 0 lash and 1/2 turn preload, if they are off even a little the rockers will clack like no other. I think the main reason your seeing different settings is the lifters are bleading down. Easiest way to adjust them is with the motor running but if the viper valve train is anything like the truck it sprays oil everywhere. I have a complete writeup on how to adjust them right the first time if you want it.

· Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mxblue23 said:
Simms said:
Tanked said:
They should all take the same number of turns to preload the lifters. My truck is the same way, you take them to 0 lash and 1/2 turn preload, if they are off even a little the rockers will clack like no other. I think the main reason your seeing different settings is the lifters are bleading down. Easiest way to adjust them is with the motor running but if the viper valve train is anything like the truck it sprays oil everywhere. I have a complete writeup on how to adjust them right the first time if you want it.
I agree with ya. Most v-8's I have seen, I went 1/4 to a 1/2 turn down from zero lash. What was different for me was Sean Roe, Chuck Tator and a few others told me to take the Jesels 1.5 turns past zero lash since the viper motor swells alot. This was assuming it took 1/2 turn from the seated positon to reach zero lash, basicly using the max 2 turns of adjustment. So I only preloaded 1 turn since some of my rockers required 1 full turn to reach zero lash from the seated position. Kind of strange, but some of them require 1/2 turn, while others required 1 turn. So the 1 turn dictated how far I could preload all of them. I talked to a couple tuners and they said its not uncommon. Maybe different stand heights, etc.
Ya, I'd like to see that write up. Pm me or email it to [email protected]
Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.