Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I\'ve got to buy headers, need help....

Since Mr. Hennessey is not going to be making the group buy headers anytime soon, and I had already talked myself into spending that $1500, what's a few hundred more?
But, who makes a header like the ones John was going to make...Stainless, Burns Merge Collector, all ARP hardware & new gaskets?
B&B headers look good, I assume they perform as well, any comments????

· Registered
865 Posts
Re: I\'ve got to buy headers, need help....

I've help fit 3 sets of B&B to the same viper, first set had wrong bends got send back, second set already had corrosion, tiny pin heads all over ! got sent back, 3rd set was OK

· Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks Guys. I did use the search function and read all the post. I just can't seem to make up my mind. I want to feel good about this decision and never second guess that there is a better header out there!

· Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The Dynatech headers look great! But, does anyone have them? Have they been dynoed? Great looking piece, nice price, just wondering.
Since verything we do here is stainless, welding them up is no problem. But, do I need to source hardware, gaskets, elbows, etc.?????
Damn these questions.

· Registered
36 Posts

I also have the b & b headers going into sean roe high flow cats and then into the corsa cat back exhaust. Sounds and performs awesome. i have a roe blower 8# pulley heads polished and ported jesel rockers. 664rwhp and 694 rwtq /images/graemlins/thumb1

· Registered
3,847 Posts

I am very happy with my B&B fit, finish and performance.

· Registered
1,421 Posts

B&B headers are high quality, attention to detail built headers. They are always spoken very highly of and well accepted in the Viper community :thumb:

In comparison to the headers that SVS builds you need to look at the designs of each companies headers and why some are built a certain way and more expensive.

SVS built headers are most similar to product #FVIP-0600 in the Viper section of B&B's website. The only difference is that SVS headers are cheaper in price by 1k. Material cost would be slightly higher for B&B because of using 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 piping. SVS uses 1 1/2" to 1 5/8's" piping for specific reasons.

SVS headers are port matched, 1 1/2" on the exhaust side of the Viper heads and they step up to 1 5/8's". They are also equal length and within less than 1/4" of each pipe. In order to achieve the tuned length we were looking for, the headers end up close to the heater box and the coolant bottle on the passenger side. We solved the worries of the pipes being close by supplying metal protectors that are easy to install and they do their job.

The reason for going through the trouble of designing tuned V-10 equal length headers was for seeking power increase in a specific area. We were concerned with increased midrange power for delivery through the middle of the turn and the exit of the turn on a roadcourse. The length of the primaries, the port match, the quality of the merged collector and the length of the pipe before it is stepped up are all the considerations. We didn't just slap these pipes together and create a nice looking easy to install header. We consulted with very experienced, knowledgeable road course and circle track header builders that focused soley with us on the Viper V10. Because of the seat of the pants feel and specific area of delivery in the powerband, Mopar contacted us to contract SVS to build these headers for the Viper. Our cost was to high and we couldn't create and reproduce this type of header at the price point that Mopar deemed fit. Different story.

I just wanted to explain a little about why we designed these headers and help people to understand what they should be compared to.

Maybe somebody could chime in and explain the advantages of not port matching a 1 1/2" exhaust opening on the Viper head? Why would 1 5/8's be better to put up against a 1 1/2" exhaust port? Greg Good Cylinder Heads are you out there?

Case study 98GTS:

SVS headers
3" exhaust/ no cats
air box modification to 3" and smooth tubes
K+N's
68mm SVS Throttle Bodies
T&D rockers

475 rwhp 480 rwftlbs. Is this decent for these mods?

· Premium Member
20,183 Posts

I have a set of B&B's for sale in the classifieds for $1800, but they are also Jet Hot coated which makes a big difference in the heat output. The collectors and turnout are also coated!
headers

· Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Great feedback guys.
Dman those SVS headers are beautiful. Hell I could just look at those for hours and enjoy them about as much as actually putting them on the car!

· Registered
3,847 Posts

99 RT/10 said:
I have a set of B&B's for sale in the classifieds for $1800, but they are also Jet Hot coated which makes a big difference in the heat output. The collectors and turnout are also coated!
headers
That is a great deal for someone looking for headers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.