Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some warranty work done again at the Dodge dealer. They fixed an electrical problem, oil guage, and my A/c. I had the A/C serviced and filled back in May...the mechanic said that the A/C was fine and that it was just low on freon. I told him that I just had it serviced in May and he told me that cars that aren't driven much loose their freon somehow??? I think I have a leak somewhere, because I drive the car twice a week, it doesn't sit that much. Is this mechanic feeding me crap or what? Also, I was charged my $100 deductible, plus $60 for freon and dye so in case it is leaking, they can find the leak with a black light. Is this not covered under warranty if I have a leak? If I find I have a leak next month, will I get my $60 back?

·
Registered
109 Posts
If he charged you your deductible why did he charge you for the freon. All he had to do was charge out a o-ring for a line and they would have paid for the freon also. He could have pulled a line at the dryer and added a o-ring to the ticket and ran the claim that way for the dye. He would have got paid by the CSC also...it doesn't make any sense. Vipers have problems with evaporators and with the line assembly that crosses the car and goes to the compressor. The line doesn't always leak enough to be picked up with a 134 leak detector unless it is under pressure and then let sit for a while. I have also found a lot of the schrader valves leaking on viper a/c systems. He should be able to vacuum the system down and see if it holds...let it sit in a vacuum for 30 minutes...that will tell you if it will leak or not. It sounds like he is working on flat rate and he didn't want to spend any time to find the real problem...I see it happen every day.
Later,
Joe

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
AC systems only get "low" on freon because of leaks. The system is 100% sealed. If it is leaking (assumeing your car is under warranty) it should be fixed free of charge.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the great info guys..I will call them Monday and see what's up??It's not really the money issue, it's just that I hate being lied too, and a lot of people think since you drive a nice car that you can just piss away money and that you won't complain, but wrong, it the whole concept!!

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
18,648 Posts
lawnman said:
I checked the blue cap and it was full of freon just like you said..does that mean it is leaking from there or what?
If it is bubbling then it is leaking, it may be wet from the recent service, clean it and replace the cap and re-check it if you see no bubbling. It may be that the valve is leaking a small amount like a tire air valve would if the valve core is bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.