Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon , my first post here! I currently have a 04 ram Laramie with the 5.7ltr hemi with a rear mount turbo. (Clearly this is a viper forum but it’s all I’ve seen with any logical explanations) My questions are A) what’s the bulletproof way of installing the scavenger pump? B) what is required to place the turbo under the hood and eliminate the tubing traveling to rear end? - it creates a lot of bands and joints with 20’ feet of tubing it seems like it could be more efficient under the hood what are your thoughts thanks.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Good afternoon , my first post here! I currently have a 04 ram Laramie with the 5.7ltr hemi with a rear mount turbo. (Clearly this is a viper forum but it’s all I’ve seen with any logical explanations) My questions are A) what’s the bulletproof way of installing the scavenger pump? B) what is required to place the turbo under the hood and eliminate the tubing traveling to rear end? - it creates a lot of bands and joints with 20’ feet of tubing it seems like it could be more efficient under the hood what are your thoughts thanks.
How does it drive? If it drives good and you like it - why change it? You already have it.

Front mount will always spool quicker and make a little more power size for size (assuming it's done well), but the differences are not as huge as you might imagine. Not enough to justify the work and cost of ripping out what you have and starting again in my opinion. (you can't use the same turbo(s) front to back...well you can but what works great one end will not work great the other - different sizing A/R required).

...btw it's not easy plumbing up under the front - it's just shorter (and tighter), but there may be a kit if you want to spend the money.

If the rear turbo is fun enough - it might be the sweet spot for years of trouble free motoring. I've done 10 years and several events (including week long closed road events) on remote mount turbo setups - they can work very well.

My first setup was an LS1 running a single right at the very back. With an auto it could spool from a dig.... it also could get 30mpg highway despite almost double the factory power. Was reliable and responsive (it takes less than a 1/10 of a second for air to reach the front from the back). I started with the STS remote kit , took one look, and threw most of it out - upgraded everything - including the scavenge pump.

I went to the Turbowerx EXA pump and it's been solid, quiet and reliable. Can't help you on best way to install it on your vehicle - but I'd start with giving Turbowerx a call.

The coolest part of remote turbos is getting heat out of the engine bay. If you tow while making more power than God intended, I'd think twice about going to front mount. Not having a red hot glowing snail under your hood is a good thing if you want to be able to run full throttle for extended periods.

In the end I went to mid mounted twins (LS3). Nobody ever rode in that car and said "geeze that's unresponsive".

Enjoy what you have, make sure the clamps are good, upgrade your pump if its the crappy plastic TST one.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I've been running the Turbowerx exa pump for years. I placed a cracking check valve on the feed line near the turbo, and a normal check valve immediately after the turbo. The scavenge pump elevation is above the turbo by a few inches, and I'm feeding the oil back into a custom aluminum oil filler cap with a AN fitting.

Yeah it sucks with length of charge pipe and oil lines on remote mounts, but as far as drawbacks that's about where it ends. As far as performance, the total volume to be filled in the charge pipe is minuscule compared to the typical flow rate required by the engine and what a turbo can produce, so there's not much of a difference if properly sized.

Viper is a challenging layout to have turbos above the oil pan so almost always there's a scavenge pump involved (with the exception of front mount and A/C delete side mount). Since you've got a different platform, there's probably gobs of room to put them in the engine bay.

If you do a lot of off road, it may make more sense to relocate them to the engine bay just to eliminate the impact from foreign debris risk.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,127 Posts
Republic Aviation designed this nifty rear-mount turbo system for the P-47 Thunderbolt in WW-II. The engine made almost 2500 hp. Maybe you can glean a few ideas from the layout. :ROFLMAO:

Motor vehicle Automotive design Pipeline transport Engineering Gas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts