Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first Viper yesterday. The temperature goes up to around 230 or 235 and then comes back down to around 200 to 210 while driving. It just seems like it is borderline overheating on startup. I didn't know if this was normal. It is a 1997 GTS with around 40k on it. Thanks in advance, Leaon King.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Those temps are high...HOWEVER, the calibration on many of the gages is inconsistent. When do the fans come on? If they come on at 235 degrees, my guess is that your gages are off and 235 really equals 215 or so.

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
This reminds me of ALLLL the overheating problems I had with my 1st 97'. Which forced me to sell BTW. I remember being broken down on the side of the road sometimes because of it. And in the 100 degree Texas heat? It wasn't fun.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Your Temps seem High ! Mine rarely gets over 195 Deg's even in stop and go traffic..What year is it ?
If it's a 2001 chances are it might be water pump related...01's had a problem with the Water Pump Impeller's.
Your warranty will cover the cost of replacing it with an 02 Pump.

Good Luck !

Jeff

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Anthony - 98 GTS said:
Yea - Vipers run hot.

You might try "burping" your cooling system to see if you have any air and think about upgrading your fan to the newer '99 style.
Sorry to hijack....Anthony, you are getting use to burping things already??? :rofl:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
You can also turn the heater on when it starts to run hot. That will cool it down pretty fast but make you sweat your ass off.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yellow Fever said:
Your Temps seem High ! Mine rarely gets over 195 Deg's even in stop and go traffic..What year is it ?
If it's a 2001 chances are it might be water pump related...01's had a problem with the Water Pump Impeller's.

Good Luck !

Jeff

um...did you read what he said???? Its a 97 GTS

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Wannabe Owner said:
Yellow Fever said:

Good Luck !

Jeff

um...did you read what he said???? Its a 97 GTS

:doh:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Just remember, when you're idling in traffic, there is NO air flow to the radiator until the fan cuts in, usually around 215 or so. So... expect temps to peak in city driving in hot weather. I run my AC which keeps the fan on all the time, and keeps temps down some. Still, if you track in hot weather, expect temps to be above the fan cut-on level for extended periods. I don't think 220 or so really hurts the snake, and don't worry about those levels. In fact, unless your oil gets above 210 for a significant period of time periodically, you risk carrying a lot of garbage in it that is supposed to get boiled out (like moisture). One of the pitfalls of over-cooling these beasts.

·
A Luxury Once Sampled...
18,788 Posts
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
At what rpm do you shift?
I wait until I hit the rev limiter....

·
Registered
502 Posts
idk how it is on Vipers, but i know a lot of Mustang guys that run hot will just wire themelves a high speed fan switch...the fan still acts like normal but if you want it on switch it on...some run with it on constantly....

Anthony

·
Registered
130 Posts
Turning on the ac works, but you can easily add a direct fan switch -- I suggest using an illuminated one so that you have a reminder that it is on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts