Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new guy here.
Before I go and buy another sports car I figure this time I will research before I jump. I presently own 97 twin turbo Supra 400 RWHP. Very fast and happy with it. It's just that I want a change. And It's also very hard for me to find someone to work on it. So I'm looking at the Viper. I would like anyones help. Just a few questions. My set budget is 30,000 to 40,000.
What years don't I want? someone told me I should get at least a 1997. I really do not know the difference between the GTS and the RT. The hardtop I think looks better to me at these early stages of my search. The convertible in the years that my budget allows looks like it sits on the car like a hat. But I guess i could get used to that. I'm more concerned with a Viper year the accepts mods and a year that did not have any big problems. Thanks for the help.

Scott

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
GEN 1 - '92 through 95, All RT's, no GTS's. They are strictly race cars (no abs, traction control, etc) with '94's finally having the A/C as an option. These are definetely in your price range and you can find very well taken care of cars for mid $35k.

Gen 1.5 - an RT was made in '96 that was a bit of a halfway point between Gen 1 specs and Gen 2 specs. Search the forums for the differences.

Gen 2 - Any RT that is '97 and younger, or GTS that's '96 or younger. There's more engine differences as well as some creature comforts. Gen 2's are a bit better to start with as a base for modding. You can sometimes find a good deal on these for low 40k's but some of the better and newer ones could run a lot more than that. Again, search the forums for more info on year differences, some noteable changes in different years are ABS and forged vs. cast pistons (something to consider if you're planning on boost).

Gen 3 - Not in your price range, and I just can't warm up to the body style. Be scared of these at the track.

Oh, and once again. SEARCH THE F*CKING FORUMS BEFORE OPENING YOUR TRAP!

Welcome to the Alley!

/images/graemlins/saw

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.