Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting one of these fugly things to replace my aging Ford E350 work van this time next year.....

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/63141-4143_IMG-med.JPG[/image]

It's friggin' butt ugly, but at 25 mpg, it's double what my V10 is currently getting. I was surprised that the Mercedes 5 cyl turbo deisel has about the same power as my V10 Ford. Another benefit is that it is taller inside than the E-series van which would be helpful to me in my business. The above picture is the extended roof version, but I'd opt to get the standard roofline van.

Here are the downsides to the vehicle as I see it:

Probably will be more expesive than to identically replace my current E350 by "several" thousand dollars
Butt ugly styling
Cheesy sounding radio
steering wheel position is flat & very bus-like
sun visors don't move to the side windows (much like the Viper)

Anyone got any input on these hideously ugly but semmingly practical vehicles

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Very practical and they are reliable as hell. I can't get over how huge they are. I see them being used as UPS and FedEx all the time. It got written up in the Toronto paper awhile ago and they loved it. I really havn't heard anything bad about them.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,147 Posts
It's a Freightliner, right?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I had occasion to check into one of those a while back Mark, I agree with your assesment 100%. I found you could pick them up pretty cheap used (relatively speaking), but you never know how "used" they were. I didn't know the mileage was so good - thats pretty amazing really. I dunno about the tow rating or if you need that, but I know you can fit a TON of stuff inside - really amazing how big they are inside.

·
Registered
33,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GTS Dean said:
It's a Freightliner, right?
Dean:
Essentially it's a Benz with either Dodge or Freightliner badges on it.

Right now, I'm doing a cost comparison between an E350 Diesel & the Sphincter, I mean Sprinter. Looks like they will come out eqally priced they way I want both equipped. However, I just found out that if you order a step bumper on the Sprinter, you can't get a trailer towing package, which sucks.

Tomorrow, I'm going to test drive an E350 with the new 6.0 Triton turbo deisel, so we'll see how that compares.

Because the Sprinter's radio sucks so badly, if I were to buy one, I would order it as radio delete & have an aftermarket one installed. Also, Ford has low cost rack systems available for the interior of their vans & Sprinter does not, which adds up to more money to buy them aftermarket. I do believe that the Benz drivetrain in the Sprinter is reliable & long lasting, but for the extra cost involved & 4 year payback time, I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it to get the Sprinter, or just get another Econoline.

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mark,
What kind of pricing are they giving you on the Sprinter?
If it's on the list of vehicles that are available for the "Friends" pricing (1-2 % under dealers invoice) I can give you a Friends control number if you're interested.

PM me here or email me at [email protected] if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
I sat in one at the car show last month.The friggin thing is HUGE inside ! I liked it and at 6'2,I could still stand up in the back.You could install a better stero and fix the visor problem in a heatrbeat.It's a workshop/machine shop shop on wheels.

·
Registered
33,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rich Detert said:
Mark,
What kind of pricing are they giving you on the Sprinter?
If it's on the list of vehicles that are available for the "Friends" pricing (1-2 % under dealers invoice) I can give you a Friends control number if you're interested.

PM me here or email me at [email protected] if you're interested.
I optioned a Sprinter out pretty well & it list for about $34,000.00. The dealer told me that I could have it for $31,200.00. I then priced up a comparible Ford E-350 Diesel & it came out to be pretty much the same. However, the Ford deisel is a $5,000.00 option over the V10. I figured it would take 4 years for the deisel to pay itself back. I'm starting to think that the extra money for the deisel is not worth it, whether I go for a Sprinter or a Ford. I do like the headroom in the Sprinter, but I'm just not sure of that flat steering wheel position. I may try out renting one for a few days just to see how I like it. For the amount of driving I do (35K yearly), I wouldn't want to buy one & then decide I hate it a week later.

·
Registered
33,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am leaning towards it. The Ford has a new 5 speed automatic, & a 100K warrantee. However, I don't feel confident enough to think the tranny will last for 200K miles. I'm gonna go to the Freightliner dealer within the next few days & pick their brains on it since they've been selling them for a while. My local Dodge dealer just got in their first two vans & don't know shit about them...yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts