Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
The one Sean offers is around $400 - It's universal - and has eliminated some
of the quirks(like the O2 code problems) of the stock units.
If you're price shopping - you might pick up a used one for a little less.
I think most of the years can be interchanged with minor problems, but
it would help to stay in the 97 to 99 range.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Sean's PCM appears to blow something inside if if the injector clip comes loose. From my experience, this is a design flaw. If the clip comes loose and the unit fries, you are back to stock until you get a replacement.

I would call JonB and look into the earlier stock Viper PCM or the new Mopar one - less problems and great customer service from JonB

·
Stow-N-Go, Baby!
10,462 Posts
I used to have a 98 PCM in my garage. If I can find it, it's yours! (But I can't promise that I'll find it--I might not even still have it. I will look this weekend).

PS. I may have given it to the guy who bought my car, but I may have kept it. Can't remember which, so no promises. I bought it from a place that parted out Vipers. They have an internet site. Some combination of viper and parts.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have never heard of any problems with the Roe PCM. I think maybe you are talking of some very isolated incedents with the VEC2. I have personally never had a problem with either.

·
Stow-N-Go, Baby!
10,462 Posts
I dropped the guy who I sold my car to a line. He says I did give him the PCM, and that I can forward his contact information to you. I don't know if he will want to sell it or give it to you. I paid $100 bucks for it, as an FYI, but I gave it to him for free. I will PM you his info. Maybe you'll get lucky!

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
utahviper said:
I have never heard of any problems with the Roe PCM. I think maybe you are talking of some very isolated incedents with the VEC2. I have personally never had a problem with either.
That would be because there haven't been any problems with it.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
McGuireV10 said:
utahviper said:
That would be because there haven't been any problems with it.
So VEC2's burning out when an injector clip comes loose don't count as "problems"?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Roadkill,

Oh, you're looking for a stock PCM? I have heard the PCM from the earlier cars are more "performance" oriented.

Try calling JonB at Parts Rack. I think its partsrack.com. he sells all sorts of takeoff Viper parts and would likely know which PCM you would want. If you want a factory one, call Viper Wizard Chuck Tator at Tators Dodge - he's a dealer and gives discounts

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I ran a 96 PCM on my 01. Worked just fine.
Seemed like it pulled a little harder on the low end.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
McGuireV10 said:
I ran a 96 PCM on my 01. Worked just fine.
Seemed like it pulled a little harder on the low end.
Supposedly the 96 is more aggressive with A/F.

I have heard the new Mopar unit is good also - the old ones often LOST power. Supposedly they fixed that.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Roadkill,

I may be wrong, but I *think* it's the 96 only PCM that is the "strong one". I dont know that 98 is the same?

Maybe someone else can chime in? JonB?

·
Stow-N-Go, Baby!
10,462 Posts
JonB won't be looking over here! I'm not sure what the differences are. Pre 2000 had a different OBD than 2000. I think 96-97 didn't have OBD at all. There was an old thread at VCA that answered these, and other, questions.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Schillinger said:
JonB won't be looking over here! I'm not sure what the differences are. Pre 2000 had a different OBD than 2000. I think 96-97 didn't have OBD at all. There was an old thread at VCA that answered these, and other, questions.
No JonB? Is he censored? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

You hit the nail on the head - it was the OBD that was the issue. Wasnt 97 an "intermediary" year on OBD and 98 was full OBD? I think that is why 96 is "the one"

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
I have a 97 PCM out of a GTS (gen-II) on my 96 RT.
96 was the first year for the OBD-II. I'm assuming the reason APEX switched
my original PCM for a 97, was to help the A/F - My car was running too lean.
Whatever the reason, with my 97 PCM + Dastek and Gen-II injectors and fuel
pump booster - I don't run lean.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts