Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate to say it but the Corvette is history. And I am now looking into either a ZO6 or possibly a viper.

Questions:
How tough are the motors? There are times when I will run around just boundcing off the rev limiter. The LS1 can handle it, but I have concerns about the V10. (BTW: Im not wanting to talk smack about either car, Im just a serious buyer and have legitamate questions.)
I need a car to autocross. Would an RT10 do it as well as a c5?

I have a price limit of 35K. I can buy a modded ZO6 for that much. What options would I have in viperland?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Red5 to the dark side, I knew it was just a matter of time!! I bumped you back up to 5!!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
WTF happened to the green monster?

Hard choice. The RT's handle great and have a shitload of torque. I actually tried autoX for the first time yesterday (solo II setup) and the viper would run around easy in 1st gear (57mph) I had fun and would have loved to try it in a Viper.

The Z06 is probably the better choice if you were going to use it as a DD as well. 1st Gen cars are a bitch in the rain.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Why don't you build an "autocross" car with $35,000. I mean, start with a mini and build a consistent FTD car. Seriously! For autocross, why start with an expensive 200 MPH beast?

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I agree with city. The Factory 5 spec racers that were there yesterday were simply awesome. I couldn't get over how well they drove. Look pretty easy to handle too. All my car did was plow :eek:

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you are looking for a serious autocrosser, you really need to find a 2001 or 2002 RT-10 or GTS. The ABS is huge for Solo II , and the car will amaze you.
There are few Vipers made, hence few being Autocrossed, but the advantage for a serious driver, is you can run K&Ns ( no smooth tubes ), Corsa catback, and Hoosiers and still run in the Super Stock class. Brake pads are also open, and with the Gen II and ABS , this is a car that will kill. I ran two FTDs with my 98 , years back, and the only flaw is not having ABS. Keep in mind the car is no larger than any pony car, Vette, etc., so it flies through the cones every bit as quick - folks think the Snake is big, yet it only looks larger than other cars. With a modded car ( either one ), you may find yourself in a tough class, as the changes are minimal. A Viper in Super Stock , is the way to go.
Sure the price is going to be higher than you want, but what price glory?

·
Registered
383 Posts
PS - going fast in a Snake is a second gear exercise. There is no reason to bounce off the rev limiter in first, as this is a 2nd gear torque monster. Shift to second fairly quickly at virtually any speed, and off you go.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Bill Pemberton said:
If you are looking for a serious autocrosser, you really need to find a 2001 or 2002 RT-10 or GTS. The ABS is huge for Solo II , and the car will amaze you.
There are few Vipers made, hence few being Autocrossed, but the advantage for a serious driver, is you can run K&Ns ( no smooth tubes ), Corsa catback, and Hoosiers and still run in the Super Stock class. Brake pads are also open, and with the Gen II and ABS , this is a car that will kill. I ran two FTDs with my 98 , years back, and the only flaw is not having ABS. Keep in mind the car is no larger than any pony car, Vette, etc., so it flies through the cones every bit as quick - folks think the Snake is big, yet it only looks larger than other cars. With a modded car ( either one ), you may find yourself in a tough class, as the changes are minimal. A Viper in Super Stock , is the way to go.
Sure the price is going to be higher than you want, but what price glory?
Bill:

Your dedication to our marque is exemplary...however, Red is budget minded (as in his stated $35G limit) and that will NOT produce the parking lot Viper matador that you are suggesting.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jamie,

Oh come on... /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

They are comming by with a tow truck to remove what is left of my c5 in the morning.

It sounds like I won't be able to build a viper for under 35k.

I run SM-II (unlimited) and wish to stay in that class. We all like to play hard ball and I just wouldn't feel right racing a mini cooper or anything other than a vette or a viper. I have a thing about staying with American muscle cars.

If any of you think of anything that may be of interest please let me know. I have qualified to compete in a National event this July 4 and need a car to compete in.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
I run in OSP-O (very much like SM2.. The viper does AWESOME even on the super tight courses that we run due to space limitation.. the only cars that are beating me lately are the A modified formula style racers.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,147 Posts
I agree with Bill P. on the use of second gear. There is SO MUCH torque in first that you kind of need that softening and smoothness that comes with running a gear too high. My Gen2 GTS beat the doggie poop out of my Gen1 RT in the slaloms.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Red5 said:
jamie,

Oh come on... /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

They are comming by with a tow truck to remove what is left of my c5 in the morning.
Er, what's the story? Repo? Wreck?

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Can we have a paypal donation thing to boost Red5's funds a bit to put him in a viper?

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Craig201MPH said:
WTF me first!
You gotta decent car. Red5 has been tooling around in vettes for years. You gotta help out those less fortunate.

·
Whatever
801 Posts
I know of a T-1 Z06 that is race ready and only 35K. It's a 2001 and I believe it still has factory warranty remaining. It is for sale on www.speedventures.net I have raced against this car and it is pretty quick. The owner took delivery of his Ultima GTR and is motivated to sell. Good luck.
Jonathan

1 - 20 of 31 Posts