Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to make extra room for my sub and also I can't picture myself installing the bike tire as a spare if I run into a flat.

The bolt sticking out is preventing me to put the box in. Anyone removed this and how?

·
Registered
31,583 Posts
It goes in from underneath the car. You have to pull the rear heat shield. And probably the rear muffler or pipes. Whatever you have back there. Mine was easy because I have side exhaust and none of that shit was in the way when I deleted the spare and got the SRT goo pump instead.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It goes in from underneath the car. You have to pull the rear heat shield. And probably the rear muffler or pipes. Whatever you have back there. Mine was easy because I have side exhaust and none of that shit was in the way when I deleted the spare and got the SRT goo pump instead.
Are there different variations of that spare tire hold down bolt? I've got a 96 GTS and when I pulled the rear carpet it literally just slid right out.

·
Registered
31,583 Posts
Pretty sure there's a cable spanning the frame rails that it attaches to. Maybe it's a later thing. When the EPA was trying to save more children from flying spare tires.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Yeah, on my 97 GTS it's just in a groove and you twist it 90 degrees and slide it down the track and out. Super simple once you realize that's how it works.

·
Registered
31,583 Posts
You can see the cable I'm talking about here. Maybe they all have that. Dunno. Can't remember how the bolt came out. Too many dead brain cells ago.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I most certainly do not have that cable in my car. Maybe someone cut it off at some point, or earlier cars didn't come with them.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have the cable in my 01 GTS. Its just holding the spare tire BRACKET & tub assy. The actual threaded bolt comes out of the bracket from the inside of the truck/hatch of the car. Twist-n-slide to out.........as previously mentioned.

·
Rodent Whisperer
1,373 Posts
I most certainly do not have that cable in my car. Maybe someone cut it off at some point, or earlier cars didn't come with them.
I definitely have that cable on my 96 RT, though I have never removed the heat shield to see what it attaches to.

·
Registered
31,583 Posts
I definitely have that cable on my 96 RT, though I have never removed the heat shield to see what it attaches to.
I saved at least 1-1/2 pounds pulling that lightweight shield out :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts