Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at purchasing a Gen III for a couple of months now. I've looked at 4/5 and I might pull the trigger on one tomorrow. It's a 2006, 13,000Mi, and the current owner has had it since 1000 miles and 2007. Now someone that's owned it that long might think twice about reporting a small accident to the insurance company and just fix it themselves.

The CarFax is clean, although when you type the vin in without an account, it shows it has more information and more records than what actually appear when you run it with the subscription. This is the weird thing for me.

Vin is 1B3JZ65Z46V101821.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I've been looking at purchasing a Gen III for a couple of months now. I've looked at 4/5 and I might pull the trigger on one tomorrow. It's a 2006, 13,000Mi, and the current owner has had it since 1000 miles and 2007. Now someone that's owned it that long might think twice about reporting a small accident to the insurance company and just fix it themselves.

The CarFax is clean, although when you type the vin in without an account, it shows it has more information and more records than what actually appear when you run it with the subscription. This is the weird thing for me.

Something you’re seeing that makes you think it’s been damaged or?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something you’re seeing that makes you think it’s been damaged or?

On my way to look at it now. I'm more wondering if Carfax screwed up. I paid for the report but it shows significantly less information that what it told me was available before I bought it. Maybe thats a marketing gimmick. But before I wasted another $40 I thought I would ask, lol.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
On my way to look at it now. I'm more wondering if Carfax screwed up. I paid for the report but it shows significantly less information that what it told me was available before I bought it. Maybe thats a marketing gimmick. But before I wasted another $40 I thought I would ask, lol.
GLWP!

·
Registered
24,461 Posts
I've had 2 vehicles with serious damage, 1 got fixed correctly and the other, not so much. Years later, still no trace on Carfax. I'd never trust it personally. A real set of informed eyes are way more important to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not a lot, or at least; not enough to pay full price for a single report. It just isn't as all-inclusive as they would like you to believe.

If you see an accident on the report, then you know it was in an accident and probably have some details about the repair too.

But if you see a clean report, that only means there were no reported incidents. It doesn't mean the car is clean.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Absolutely worthless and inaccurate. I was looking for a very Specific 2002 gen II GTS. The dealer said it was the second owner, but CarFax said it has been owned by 5 owners. It was the original owner, then the dealer, then they transferred it to another location that the dealer owned, then again another dealer they owned, then back to the Original shop that advertised it. Only 2 ever owned it. NEXT: I then bought a 2001 GTS. The vehicle went Into a body shop to have the rear window replaced. CarFax states that it had to be damaged in order to be in a body shop. The rear window had a heavy pine cone fall on it. No body or paint job required. But CarFax states that it had to be In an accident in order for it to go into a body shop. So vaguely inaccurate.

·
Registered
37 Posts

CarFax is a tool. Like any other tool it helps, but in itself CarFax is not "the end all" decision maker. Factor it in along with as many other pieces of information. Once you make your decision, run your reasoning past a fair minded friend for verification.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Well, my new Hyundai is on a maintenance plan and the dealer specified all work has to be done there so its reported on CARFAX...I could care less if my oil changes and tire rotations are being reported on CARFAX, but on the other hand, its pretty cool to see a history report that shows recalls and other odds-n-ends being fixed. Accidents, eh.

·
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner
9,030 Posts
It's important to understand that any damage that is claimed on an insurance policy is going to be listed as an "accident" or "incident" on these types of reports. No matter the cause.

It was mentioned in this thread, a couple of posts up, about the gentleman and the rear window: that's an excellent example of a comprehensive claim. It's not a vehicle vs vehicle accident, but it's still a claim that the insurance company had to pay out on, organized repairs with a body shop, and get the vehicle fixed.

Unfortunately, these are listed as "accidents" or "incidents" in vehicle reports without regard to obvious delineating factors between "Comprehensive" and "Collision."

The system sucks.
It's just the way it is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts