Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming one is tuning in the worst conditions. High heat, humidity and using 93 octane what is a safe range for timing. 30, 32, 34???

No knock sensors and loud exhaust makes it impossible to hear knock until it's to late.

So far 30 has been a safe range, but just wondering what some others have gone up to.

John

· Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes....a VEC2. What have cbeen your experiences with NA cars. I have a heads/cam car and was wondering do modded cars tolerate timing or not in general.

· Premium Member
4,012 Posts
john, whats your vec2 settings at? shoot me an email and ill send you mine to compare

· Registered
527 Posts
put it on a chassis dyno and advance the timing in 2 degree increments until you lose power. then back it down 2 degrees from there and you will have optimum safe power the crude way. good luck and don't forget to pull your plugs and check em > look for a nice tan color with no pitting, etc.

also - most chassis dynos' have O2 sensors that can sniff out your A/f ratio, so 12.9 is what you are looking for. but if you are running cats this can throw the reading off unless you get a reading pre cat at the header collector.

p.s. - the 1st method i have suggested here will tell you more about what your timing is doing in regards to detonation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.