Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the subject on a GTS.
How much power can you have before changing the above things?
Which is the weakest link of those three?
I see a lot of 1/4 mile vipers with 1200 RWHP here what is the most common problems with the stuff above on those?
At what effect do you need to change from the original stuff?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Re: How much effect can the original rear axels, transmision and clutch tak

You need to change EVERYTHING. Larry at M2 can hook you up
407 246 6511. On the really fast car there is very little stock drive train in the rear ends. Half shafts, gears clutches etc.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts

No need to change everything until you get into big numbers and serious tires. Plenty of guys have success with stock everything with SC 800 rwhp and slicks (except for different halfshafts). TT and nitrous cars have considerably more tq and are not as drivetrain friendly.

There is only one guy that can claim to having a bulletproof drivetrain and that is Heffner. Some others will eventually figure it out if they haven't already but no one else can even challenge their drivetrains with multiple 8 second passes to prove their parts.

·
Registered
982 Posts

Halfshafts will go on a bone stock car. I'd start there. Even though some guys seem to be able to throw a lot at the halfshafts (i.e. 150 shots), they are definately the 1st weak link. the clutches seem to hold some power (600-800rwhp) unless you are at the dragstrip with slicks, then it will not last too long. Throw a lot of tq at the clutch though (like a TT) all the time and the clutch won't like it.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts

Tranny depends a lot on how hard you push it and how good you are at doing it. You don't have to be off by much to really wound a tranny rated for 500 lb-ft with 1000.

·
Registered
541 Posts

I have seen one tranny break while in use or from use. That was Chuck Babels from road racing. He lost 5 gear. I have however seen brand new " Super " trans that were supposedly heavy duty blow up during easy break in period. The Chad is right until you put super # 's down the tranny will hold up. The problems is when the car launches with the IRS, everything buckles - twists - and jerks around. John Canal broke a half shaft, at the line, and put part of it through the rim and tire ! At every event there is a good amount of vipers with broken half shafts. I would say it is the first of a few weak links. The vipers were not designed for drag racing rather road racing etc. The Chad has thrown done some most impressive #'s. And he probably has a shit load of factory parts that are no longer on the car. I have not run the numbers he has and I have a lot of parts I don't use, most drive line related.
My first time at a V10 in KY, on nitrous, a big shot, I broke all the rear end gears, spun the half shafts in their splines AND bent the fuck out of the torque arm. Costly ! Barely got car the on trailer. As for Heffner having the only one thats bullet proof. That's true for now. I think Larry at M2 has one. But it has not been proven as Heffner's and The Chads has been,well not yet anyway. See you at the track Chad !! LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.