Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Sexist
44,730 Posts
I'm selling both my Vipers so I can buy a Z06!!! Gawd, that car will run 9s easy and will blow away an Enzo on any road course in the World. I can't wait. My Vipers are for sale - $2 for every mile on the odometer.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
I'm selling both my Vipers so I can buy a Z06!!! Gawd, that car will run 9s easy and will blow away an Enzo on any road course in the World. I can't wait. My Vipers are for sale - $2 for every mile on the odometer.
Christ TVC with the loot from selling the Vipers, you could afford an Enzo! :nod:

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Turbo63 said:
When the new Z06 Corvette comes out (given its performance specs and price estimates) how many viper owners will buy one and/or sell their Viper for the new Z?
To answer this seriously... our cars have 500hp already and will still draw the crowd parked next to a brand new Z06. So why would any of us sell and then downgrade?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really not so sure about that -- I like the viper but lets face it, the car is a cheap wrapping strapped to an engine. The Vette has far more refinements in it and with the lighter curb weight and equal HP its going to be something -- especially if the price point is in the low to mid $70k range. If someone was going to spend $80kish on a Viper they might as well add $20 and buy a Porsche IMHO. I think the new Vette is going to change things for US made sports cars -- additionally, since overall Vette Production and sales are higher compared to the Snake R&D dollars to further improve the car are more readily available. Its going to be VERY interesting indeed!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
It is merely the swing of the pendulum, nothing more. It is what breeds the caliber of cars we have. Without it we would all be racing our civics, and V-dubs. :) I would expect any NEW car to be a little higher up the food chain than my 7-8 year old car, but I'd still take it any day over any vette. I think the new proposed ZO6 is awesome, as a car....just not my bag. Sadly (or, more importantly for me, thank GOD) my "dated" GTS is still more awe-inspiring than the new Vette(s)....and the new Viper(s)....for now. :)

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Turbo63 said:
If someone was going to spend $80kish on a Viper they might as well add $20 and buy a Porsche IMHO.

:lolcry: :lolcry: :lolcry: Hahaha, That's some funny shit!! A Porsche. Let me tell you, a guy I know went out and bought a $150k 03 x-50 996TT. I raced him with my STOCK (except for catback) 96 GTS and outran him 0-160mph. (The video is on my site) The car had a really nice interior, if that's what you are looking for, but if performance is your thing, the viper is a bargain. BTW he sold that car not long after I outran him. :rofl:

·
Sexist
44,730 Posts
Turbo63 said:
the car is a cheap wrapping strapped to an engine.
You don't get it.

Turbo63 said:
The Vette has far more refinements in it
You don't get it.

Turbo63 said:
If someone was going to spend $80kish on a Viper they might as well add $20 and buy a Porsche IMHO.
You don't get it.

You just don't get the Viper experience.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I shouldn't bother but I feel like bragging on the Viper.

It is THE BEST platform to build THE BEST street cars. When I set out to build a fast street car, I started with a clean sheet of paper and the Viper was the obvious choice: looks, engine size, tire size, hearty drive train, and even exclusivity.

It really is the ultimate street monster. And luckily, it is not for everybody.

·
A Luxury Once Sampled...
18,791 Posts
THE CHAD said:
I shouldn't bother but I feel like bragging on the Viper.

It is THE BEST platform to build THE BEST street cars. When I set out to build a fast street car, I started with a clean sheet of paper and the Viper was the obvious choice: looks, engine size, tire size, hearty drive train, and even exclusivity.

It really is the ultimate street monster. And luckily, it is not for everybody.
As well put and succinct as can be! :thumbs2:

From the man who has put his time slips where his mouth is! :nod:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
_Mark_ said:
To answer this seriously... our cars have 500hp already and will still draw the crowd parked next to a brand new Z06. So why would any of us sell and then downgrade?

You probably need to read the specs on your Viper and the new Vette and then look at how much you paid vs. the vette. Get used to seeing the tail end of the new Vette in your pretty Viper. I am selling, Dodge needs to wake up.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
SnowMann said:
Get used to seeing the tail end of the new Vette in your pretty Viper. I am selling, Dodge needs to wake up.
The new Z06's are slated to run $60k. The compression ratio (i believe) is 11:1, good luck modding that. The hp is 500 at the motor. How the hell is that a good deal? Buy Carrot's ACR for $52k, add a roe blower for $8kish, and spank the Z all day long...Hell, spank most of the street......

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Turbo63 said:
Really not so sure about that -- I like the viper but lets face it, the car is a cheap wrapping strapped to an engine. The Vette has far more refinements in it and with the lighter curb weight and equal HP its going to be something -- especially if the price point is in the low to mid $70k range. If someone was going to spend $80kish on a Viper they might as well add $20 and buy a Porsche IMHO. I think the new Vette is going to change things for US made sports cars -- additionally, since overall Vette Production and sales are higher compared to the Snake R&D dollars to further improve the car are more readily available. Its going to be VERY interesting indeed!
Deuce is right...you DON'T get it!
When GM restricts the production numbers of the new ZO6 to say 1,000 a year, so that every fawking marginally credit worthy dork and his girlfriend/wife doesn't show up at the A&P with a copy of Road and Track opened to the featured ZO6 article taped to the rear hatch...THEN it might be worth of a test drive! Porsche might even be worse. Why can't you get it??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have tried to refraing from posting to all the Zo6 vs. viper postings...but let me play it like it is. The vette is a vett, even if they only make a 1000 z06's they will still look like the non-z06's minus a few body changes...but the lamen...the Viper will still be considered and exotic and the z06 won't the minds of insurance companies and common folks...hell, the same stories floated about the last z06...it's a vett, looks like vette and years from now...it won't appreciate near as much as our vipers will...and you want to know why...because it is a FREAKING CORVETTE...a dime a dozen. Vipers however, inspired by King Carol will always be exotics and hand made and the sex appeal will far surpass that of any vette...my 10 year old viper gets more looks than any vette. Hell...most viper owners used to have vettes and sold them...ask most vette owners..."did you own a viper and sell it to get your vett?" Seriously, a vette is a car that you will always see in your rearview mirror or coming the other way in traffic. Speed is cool, but looks and sex apeal are far greater over time...besides...you can beef up a v10 a hell of alot more than a v8...physics tell you that much, the more you have to play with the more HP you can get...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Nothing except for the new Ford GT has the pure sports car essence of a GTS.

When you start getting into the stratoshperic performance enevelopes of a Gen II, SRT Viper, Fort GT and new Z06 I think a key element becomes how the car affects you emotionally.

The performance is so insane of these cars that you are very hard pressed to get to the edges of the performance envelopes. Who has the most HP starts to become bragging rights more than reality. Don't get me wrong, I want the Viper to always be the King of the Hill but I could not sell my beautiful ACR to purchase a new Z06. The increase performance just can not make up for it's inablity to move me emotionally.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.