Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this miles subject has been discussed ad nauseum, but how many miles do you have on your viper and how many would be too many to consider putting a s/c mod. What I mean is....is compression as efficient after x amount of miles?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
50-60k would be ok, just as long as the car has been well taken care of.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Makaha said:
I know this miles subject has been discussed ad nauseum, but how many miles do you have on your viper and how many would be too many to consider putting a s/c mod. What I mean is....is compression as efficient after x amount of miles?
Only way to know is to do a simple compression check and find out. I don't see whay the number of miles would matter as long as the car still has good compression and you don't have a ton of blow-by.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reddog, i was asking because I don't know much about compression, etc and whether efficiency goes down with time. Thanks for the education...does a compression check test blow by?

·
Registered
543 Posts
A compression test measures cylinder psi, which if not high enough, will basically tell you you have a blow by problem. A compression tester is easy to use, just unscrew the plugs and test each cylinder by cranking the motor over 2-3 times. As long as the compression is fairly balanced through the engine, you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
reddog, thanks...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Did my setup at 38800miles and no problems. Miles don't matter as long as well maintained.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I assume the rsi950? that's an awesome package....awesome. What are your times.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Don't laugh, but the best I could muster was an [email protected] That was my best pass, the other two were 11.50's @ 137/135. They were on Pilot's, I am almost in the process of striking a deal with a gentleman from Dallas for a used set of drag tires and rims, so hopefully I can get a little more practice and better times. You are correct it is the 950 package.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
those radials should take amost a second off....that's impressive. Power is only good when one can harness it...that kind of power, launching with mich's is not the best condition...your times will change for sure. I want to hear it...what exhaust changes were made? I'm not too familiar with the package and i'm too lazy to go to rsi website.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, HOW IN THE HELL DID THEY GET THAT RSI car that quartered at 9.48 or so to sound the way it did...does your sound like that?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Remove the cats and you will be surprised how wild these cars sound. To loud for me, so I went with hi-flo cats.

RSI950-impressive mph on street tires. Your car sounds solid and I know good times will follow. Is your car the one with the paxton setup?

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jdawg, you coming for crusing the coast...see the thread recently posted. Let me know, we're getting a decent viper gathering going.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am running Balanger headers with no cats and a Corsa cat-back, I wish my car sounded like the yellow one. Their car runs 11:1 compression, 510cid, and an aggressive cam, so its a lot louder. Mine on the other han got a 2000 cam and 9:1 compression, so its actually mellow untill WOT. Believe it or not, the car was actually louder at idle with the old heads, Crower cam and no blower.
An aggressive cam,more compression and deleting the cats will make the car sound very healthy.

·
Registered
324 Posts
J Dawg, you are correct, the basic Paxton kit, with a smaller pulley for 12psi

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I went down in the Prowler a few years back and that event is a blast. Not gonna make it there this year, but I will be down that way right before Christmas. We are going to be staying at the Beau Rivage, so maybe we can hook up then.

John

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sounds good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts