Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Enlightened
Joined
·
29,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't seem to be getting the grip I'd like from my tires - a 2000 with 18k miles. Since the tires are 5 years old, am I near a point where they should be replaced?
 

·
Enlightened
Joined
·
29,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think PartsRack was advertising full sets for $1000. I might just replace them - although I was thinking about some wheels to go with them, but need to think about that some more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,989 Posts
With regular driving (i.e., few burnouts) and properly maintained tire pressure, fronts will last from 25-30k (getting bald at the end of that time), and rears about 18-20k.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,310 Posts
slaughterj said:
With regular driving (i.e., few burnouts) and properly maintained tire pressure, fronts will last from 25-30k (getting bald at the end of that time), and rears about 18-20k.
Its not a matter of miles, its a matter of time (and for me, heat cycles). My tires probably have 15k miles or so but they must be 4 years old by now and they aren't worth a shit. The rubber is hard as a rock and has no grip at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,989 Posts
_Mark_ said:
Its not a matter of miles, its a matter of time (and for me, heat cycles). My tires probably have 15k miles or so but they must be 4 years old by now and they aren't worth a shit. The rubber is hard as a rock and has no grip at all.
It's a matter of time for you and others who are not engaging in regular driving. Note, I said "with regular driving," which means something approximating a daily driver or at least somewhat more than garage queen status.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,050 Posts
longeer than they would last in my possesion. replace then you cheap bastage!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,310 Posts
slaughterj said:
It's a matter of time for you and others who are not engaging in regular driving. Note, I said "with regular driving," which means something approximating a daily driver or at least somewhat more than garage queen status.
How does regular driving keep the rubber from turning hard after a few years?

How many heat cycles at the track do your "regularly driven" tires have?
 

·
Enlightened
Joined
·
29,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seems to me to be more of an issue of harding of the tires than mileage. They don't grip the road like I am used to on my previous newer cars. I'm thinking 5 years with alot of garage time is probably putting them at the end of their life cycle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Since I only put around 3K miles/year on the snake, I just run Kumhos on all four and figure to replace every two to three years. Still as cheap as Pilots and you can actually get traction.
As long as you don't drive in the rain much...
 

·
Focus!
Joined
·
5,585 Posts
Do the Kumhos handle like Pilots? I have had this pre-concieved notion that they're like a drag radial for the street and not that impressive when you're going around corners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
They get a little greasy after about ten hot laps, but still better than the Pilots. If there's a downside, it's that they don't tell you (squealing) before they let go, kinda' like Hoosiers.

(Reading that again, it all sounded a lot more sexual than I intended it to!)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top