Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
40K sounds pretty reasonable to me. Rebuilt generally go for about 5K less than clean titles, all else being equal. Also, here in U.S., insurers will salvage a car for very little being wrong with it - might only have been hood and modest front end damage that totaled it, esp. since the hood lists for 17K. The blue book on a '97 is only around 30K.

·
Premium Member
20,177 Posts
2die4 said:
I have heard that a car with a salvage title only is 60% of one with a clear title so this is way to high.
:stupid: :stupid:

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
gnosys said:
40K sounds pretty reasonable to me. Rebuilt generally go for about 5K less than clean titles, all else being equal. Also, here in U.S., insurers will salvage a car for very little being wrong with it - might only have been hood and modest front end damage that totaled it, esp. since the hood lists for 17K. The blue book on a '97 is only around 30K.
Shit, a $10k car is worth $5k less than one with a clean title. The 60% rule is pretty good.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I don't know, local pick up only, salvaged title, and still an end of auction price in the $40s? To me it sounds like someone tried to hike up the price up of their car via the "buddy bidding" system and pushed the price up too high.

My guess is that we'll see this car relisted.

Eddie

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
2die4 said:
I have heard that a car with a salvage title only is 60% of one with a clear title so this is way to high.
Well, that's probably true for a "salvage" title, i.e., a car that has been wrecked and not "repaired" yet. This car has been repaired, so it's no longer a "salvage" title, though it formerly had one.

There's a lot of confusion about salvage titles. In some cases, it just means the owner worked with their insurance company to get the "totaled" payout, for instance after the car was stolen and wrecked. It doesn't necessarily mean the car has been damaged beyond economical repair. As posted earlier, a 17K hood crack is enough to almost total a 97.

On the other hand, the car may have been folded, spindled and mutilated... Just depends on the specific case. Long story short, "repaired" Vipers typically go for about 5K less than comparable "clean" titles. If the 60 per cent rule worked for repaired cars, you'd be able to get that 03 SRT-10 for 37K, fully repaired. Good luck with that!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have pics of it before the damage so i know how it looked before it was reparied. Iam not buying the arguement that a car with a salvage title only is 5k of a car with clean title thats just ridiculus i will gladly pay 5 k more for a clean title. If the car is damaged and repaired by a amateur which i think happens to often the car is worthless and maybe dangerous.
Here you have some prices on salvage Vipers and this is not very cheap but a guideline http://www.x2builders.com/gallery.asp?catid=Vipers%20For%20Sale

·
Registered
720 Posts
i don't know how it works in other states but here in tx i believe once you have a salvage title it always stays a salvage title...Len

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Well, that's probably true for a "salvage" title, i.e., a car that has been wrecked and not "repaired" yet.

Bring a repaired salvage title car to an auction or to a dealer you might get 60% of th retail value. If it had or had a salvage title doesn't make a difference.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
To me salvage title is worth 0% of a non salvage car because I would never buy one. Just because you fix it and wash the title in another state carfax will still show a salvage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.