Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm going to go buy a engine stand today. I need to know how heavy the engine is.

I found a 1000lb engine stand for $49.95 I think the viper motor would come in near 800lbs. Anyone know for sure?


http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32916


I got my air tools and compressor form harbor freight. It's worked great so far tearing down this viper motor. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
What in the world are you pulling the entire motor for?


Oh and a 1000lbs engine stand is more than enough to support the viper engine. I'm willing to bet it weighs less than a cast iron small block.
:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,471 Posts
acrdakota said:
What in the world are you pulling the entire motor for?


Oh and a 1000lbs engine stand is more than enough to support the viper engine. I'm willing to bet it weighs less than a cast iron small block.
:thumb:
Just let him do it, the play by play on tanked tearing his engine down by himeself should provide the same hilarious results as the VW moron who put sand in his engine, the guy who spray pained his rotors red and bonkers painting his car with a brush.

Good times.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
acrdakota said:
What in the world are you pulling the entire motor for?


Oh and a 1000lbs engine stand is more than enough to support the viper engine. I'm willing to bet it weighs less than a cast iron small block.
:thumb:


Find my thread about the bad lifter it will tell you all you want to know. Thanks for the info :thumb:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Craig201MPH said:
Just let him do it, the play by play on tanked tearing his engine down by himeself should provide the same hilarious results as the VW moron who put sand in his engine, the guy who spray pained his rotors red and bonkers painting his car with a brush.

Good times.

Fedex. Bing YOUR viper by when I'm done. We can run'em Wait...you don't own a viper ...fucking troll.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Toby said:
Tanked, Did you take pics of the motor? I would like to see them.

If you can't post them...email them to me and I will post them for you.

Thanks a ton Toby! :thumb: I don't have your email anymore but I'll PM you when I'm ready. :nod:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,999 Posts
That stand will be more than enough. My cummins diesel weighs 900lb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,888 Posts
Whatever you do, do not turn the crank over without supporting the front of the motor while on the stand. There is way too much flex in the block when supported by the rear of the engine. Just my .02.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Tanked said:
Find my thread about the bad lifter it will tell you all you want to know. Thanks for the info :thumb:
HOLY SHIT DUDE. I haven't been following it but DAMN.

I'm curious about the crack, was it on the main webing between the crank and cam? I had a magnum block split #3 that way.

It should be a blast building your own motor, can't wait to see the pics :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,471 Posts
Tanked said:
Fedex. Bing YOUR viper by when I'm done. We can run'em Wait...you don't own a viper ...fucking troll.

I'm still not clear on where you get this fedex thing from but kudos for trying to be original...

Why wait? I'll race you right now. Have fun looking at your busted ass car, probably the result of driver error as your 12.4 would suggest....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,302 Posts
TOM B said:
Whatever you do, do not turn the crank over without supporting the front of the motor while on the stand. There is way too much flex in the block when supported by the rear of the engine. Just my .02.
That's good advice Tanked - do that.

I have seen the weight figures but forget - I thought it was in the high 500's for the complete engine less all the attachments like air compressor, power steering pump, alternator etc... I'd be thinking it would weigh close to 700lb complete with all the accesories etc as it comes out.

The bare block you can carry around easily - they're not heavy.

Good luck with your project.... BTW the basement is fine - long as it is clean... some of the fastest engines built came out of a nice clean concrete floor home workshop/basement :thumb: nobody will be more fussy with your engine than you.... just do your homework before attempting things you are not sure of

it is the machine shop you need to be especially choosey about - that is one area it can be worth paying some freight. They all promise a good job -

have you considered blueprinting while it is out? Not sure where you are but Ray Barton line hones the lifter bores on all his race V8's, I can't see it being a big deal to make a jig to do that on the V10... that makes all lifter bores perfectly straight and round... just do some research on machine shops that do precision work and have the best CNC gear (long as they know how to use it).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,280 Posts
Torquemonster said:
Good luck with your project.... BTW the basement is fine - long as it is clean..

I'm sure that a hell of an engine could be put together in a basement, just don't call on me to carry it up the stairs when it is all together.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top